The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: and some food notes from recent trip to Northern California (lengthy)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: and some food notes from recent trip to Northern California (lengthy)

by JC (NC) » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:53 pm

First night I had a late dinner in San Francisco at Absinthe Bistro. Good dinner. I started with a
PEGU CLUB COCKTAIL (recipe dates from 18th century Rangoon, Burma where English colonials gathered for libations.) Cointreau, lime juice, gin, angostura bitters, lime wedge. For dinner a wild mushroom risotta with shaved cheese (Mozzarella?)--chanterelles and other 'shrooms from Napa, some sage seasoning--delicious. Paired well with a
2005 CIMA COLLINA CHULA VINA PINOT NOIR
from Monterey County. (I didn't realize their winery is right in Marina, CA near Monterey and they have a tasting room in Carmel-by-the-Sea. I could have visited either one had I known.)
From website appellationamerica.com website:
"Cima Collina is one of Monterey's newest artisan wineries, handcrafting wines from small vineyards in the Monterey region."
2005 Chula Vina Pinot Noir is $28 a bottle from winery. A blend from Chula Vina (Gabilan Mountains) and the Lucia Highlands Vineyard (Santa Lucia Highlands) is $26.
My notes are "leggy, semi-transparent, wood influenced? cherries and violets on nose; nice with the wild mushroom risotto; cherries on palate, high-toned element, plenty of acidity along with robust fruit; perhaps stops just short of elegance; a bit too powerful for that."

I followed the risotto with Epoisses cheese with warm bread triangles and apple slices. (Another fruit combination offered was Pecorino cheese with figs.)
While Epoisses is said to match with Loire Pinot Noir, I didn't feel it matched well with the Central Coast P.N.

Creamy cheese, nice "stink," edible crust--delicious.

The next day I returned to the airport to pick up my rental car and then drove to Sonoma County. Started my tasting at the northern end at Ferrari-Carano (beautiful villa set among gardens.) See photos at http://www.ferrari-carano.com/ I chose the reserve tasting (four tastes for $15; choose four from eleven offered) in the cellar, seated and much more comfortable than the less expensive tasting at the counter upstairs. Knowledgeable female server. Crowds of people upstairs.

I did substitute a Pinot Noir for one of the reserve wines since I wanted to try their P.N. I liked all four wines I tried.

2005 EMELIA'S CUVEE CHARDONNAY, RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY single vineyard $36
50% malolactic fermentation, 15 months in newer French oak
Medium gold color with transparency; delicate flavor of tropical fruits, fig and slight vanilla; I found it very likable and would rate 88-90 points.
The DOMINIQUE CHARDONNAY $38 which I didn't try is said to be a bit oakier.

2006 FERRARI-CARANO PINOT NOIR $38
Medium-bodied. Only 125 cases. 2-bottle limit per person. Deeper, more serious than the P.N. sold upstairs without the Ferrari-Carano label. Garnet in center of glass with fainter color at rim. Beautiful bouquet of roses, red berries, cherries. More longevity and power than the nose hints. Raspberry flavors. Server recommended serving with turkey dinner. Also visualize with duck breast in fruit glaze. Does not turn tart on the palate and has a lingering finish. I would rate 90-92 points and 87 for QPR. Reminded me somewhat of Merry Edwards' Pinots. Winemaker is Sarah Quider.

2005 FERRARI-CARANO RESERVE ZINFANDEL $36
15.6% alcohol
First zin labeled as "reserve" by Ferrari-Carano. Crimson color with some transparency. Raspberry/blackberry on nose and palate. Carries high alcohol quite well. Would be nice with barbequed pork or beef or maybe beef brisket. Rather lengthy finish.

2004 FERRARI-CARANO TRESOR (2003 sold for $60)
Grapes from 13 Sonoma County appellations. 14.8% alcohol. 20 months French oak. Bordeaux-style blend with 63% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Malbec, 11% Petit Verdot, 6% Cabernet Franc, 4% Merlot
Black currant nose and on palate. Red licorice also on palate. Only drying if held in the mouth for awhile before swallowing. Long finish.

Also stopped that afternoon at Geyser Peak and Simi wineries. That was all time allowed as I wanted to check into inn near Guerneville before driving over an hour to town of Sonoma for dinner at Girl and the Fig with a WLDG forum regular. I don't have notes on my visit to Geyser Peak and Simi but I think I did purchase one wine at Geyser Peak, possibly a shiraz or zinfandel port. At Girl and the Fig Brian brought a bottle of Elizabeth Spencer Pinot Noir to share (very good) and I ordered a Rosenblum Marsanne off the restaurant list.
Dinner was outstanding and I was able to have some of the fresh figs. (When I told one of the innkeepers where I stayed, Sonoma Orchid Inn, that I was driving to Sonoma for dinner he said "You're not going to Girl and the Fig are you?" and when I answered yes, he said that then the long drive was worthwhile. Otherwise he would have suggested dining closer to Guerneville.)

More tasting notes tomorrow but I will strive for more brevity.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: and some food notes from recent trip to Northern California (lengthy)

by Carl Eppig » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks Jane, great notes. Looking forward to the next batch.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: and some food notes from recent trip to Northern California (length

by John Treder » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:14 pm

Don't worry about brevity. Good notes!!
Sorry we didn't get together.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:27 pm

Nice to meet you J.C. Glad to hear you had a good time. (It was a pinot, thoughb, but so big and rich that it could have been a Cab :oops: (
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:28 pm

Sounds like a very nice trip. And Ferrari-Carano has to be one of the most beautiful wineries on the planet.

Hope to see you next time you're out.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14 am

Brian, oops--I better go back and edit that to say Pinot Noir.