The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2007 Home Winemaking

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

2007 Home Winemaking

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:45 pm

It’s that time of year when all of us home winemakers are filling up the carboys and barrels. This year I have the following going on, in spite of not having bottled everything from last year yet (need to wash lots of bottles):
Sourced from my usual local grower (I haven’t done acid measurements on these):
    9 gallons of Cayuga White – 3 bushels of grapes - 20.5 Brix – yeast EC-1118
    12 gallons of Vidal Blanc – 4 bushels of grapes - 22 Brix – yeast EC-1118
    11 gallons of Steuben Rose – 3.5 bushels of grapes - 21.5 Brix – yeast EC-1118
From my favorite press house in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ont. (sold in 23-L pails):
    2 pails (11.5 gal.) Chardonnay - 22.3 Brix, pH 3.56, TA 5.6 – yeast EC-1118
    2 pails (11.5 gal.) Riesling - 20.1 Brix, pH 3.29, TA 6.9 – yeast GRE
    3 pails (yield after pressing = 12 gal.) Gamay must - 21.3 Brix, pH 3.63, TA 5.5 – yeast
    EC-1118
    2 pails (yield after pressing = 8 gal.) Cabernet Franc must - 22.6 Brix, pH 3.53, TA 5.1 –
    yeast BM-45
    1 pail (yield after pressing = 4 gal.) Merlot must - 22.6 Brix, pH 3.51, TA 5.3 – yeast BM-45

The last two (Cab Franc and Merlot) have been blended and are co-fermenting. So I should have between 75-80 gallons (375-400 bottles) from this year’s vintage. This has been an excellent growing season for this area, with a very sunny, warm and dry summer and autumn.
I am making no adjustments to the sugar levels present in the juice, as there’s enough there for everything to be between 11 and 12.5% ABV. I may have to do the very unusual practice (for Eastern grapes) of adding tartaric acid to the Chardonnay and Gamay to bring the pH back down a bit. I won’t be making any bubbly this year, as I only make it in even
numbered years.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: 2007 Home Winemaking

by Victorwine » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi Howie,
Good luck with your 2007 wines. With the ripeness level that the growers were able to obtain would you “by-pass” cold stabilization?

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:51 pm

Howie, if you make that Vidal bone-dry, it should be a fantastic wine with that Brix level. Even the Cayuga would too. EC-1118 is my favourite yeast - so reliable and tough!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:02 pm

how do all us Howie Hart Cellar fans get on that exclusive list? I know JB is just as curious as I am. That Cab. Franc - Merlot blend should be a beauty in two to three years.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:43 pm

Victorwine wrote:Hi Howie,
Good luck with your 2007 wines. With the ripeness level that the growers were able to obtain would you “by-pass” cold stabilization?

Salute
No Victor. I cold stabilize everything, even reds. But I will be checking the pH afterwards.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Howie Hart wrote:...I am making no adjustments to the sugar levels present in the juice, as there’s enough there for everything to be between 11 and 12.5% ABV...
Actually, I lied. As an experiment, I'm going to add sugar to bring 5 gallons of the Vidal up to about 36 Brix and let the EC-1118 do it's thing. I then plan on putting the wine out in the cold until ice forms in it and skim off the ice, thus making a sweet, very high alcohol after dinner sipper of around 22-25% ABV. Just an experiment this year. 8)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:07 am

Our little group went out and picked 1200 lbs of syrah from the Sauber Vineyard up in El Dorado County. This vineyard is up somewhere in the 2500 - 3000 foot range, making it fairly high elevation for the region. It was the largest vineyard in El Dorado until a couple of years ago (or at least that's what the owner told me). We had to be fairly selective as much of the crop had raisined severely. As it was, we ended up with our must at about 27 brix, which is a bit higher than we like. We threw in 200 lbs of viognier from the same vineyard just for kicks. Lalvin D80 and D21 yeasts went in and everything fermented for two weeks in three 50-gallon fermenters. It wasn't quite dry when we pressed a week ago last Saturday, so it continues to finish in carboys.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:27 am

Howie wrote:
Actually, I lied. As an experiment, I'm going to add sugar to bring 5 gallons of the Vidal up to about 36 Brix and let the EC-1118 do its thing. I then plan on putting the wine out in the cold until ice forms in it and skim off the ice, thus making a sweet, very high alcohol after dinner sipper of around 22-25% ABV. Just an experiment this year.

Pretty neat experiment Howie- “Ice Wine in Reverse” Keep us posted.

Salute