The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Pelee Island Gamay Noir / Zweigelt (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2006 Pelee Island Gamay Noir / Zweigelt (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:04 pm

13% alc. Coming from a less-than-ideal vintage for reds in Ontario, I was pleasantly surprised to find an extremely pleasant wine here. A blend of Gamay and Zweigelt, this wine is of an attractive, clear ruby-garnet colour and is transparent. Beautiful nose of red berries and Zweigelt's telltale white pepper aroma. On the palate, it's crisp and balaced with a firm though not harsh structure; expansive with good mid-palate presence and appetizing acidity. Excellent with food; I served this with rabbit cacciatore done in a homemade spiced tomato sauce. A bit of bretty pigeon-coop complexity shows up in the nose in occasional whiffs. Overall, a truly fine red for the table from Pelee Island, and one that I'll buy again.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2006 Pelee Island Gamay Noir / Zweigelt (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:24 pm

Day two ... The wine is sound and well integrated and is all white pepper and red fruits on the nose. This wine, more than any in my recent tasting history, shows me not to judge a wine by its vintage - no matter how awful the latter may have seemed!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:02 am

Paul, Speaking of blends; do you know of anyone blending Blaufraenkisch and Cabernet Franc in Ontario? It needs to be done.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:00 am

Not sure, Bill; I do know that Magnotta once had a blend of Blaufränkisch and something, but I don't remember what. All I know is that I rather liked the wine.

Frankly though, I tend to think that a straight Blaufränkisch would be mighty fine. Here in Ontario, I think the Central European grapes do very well but their Germanic names are seen as a marketing liability. Why French names are okay but German ones aren't doesn't make any sense when you consider that French spelling is about as phonetic as English ... :?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:05 am

Paul B. wrote:Not sure, Bill; I do know that Magnotta once had a blend of Blaufränkisch and something, but I don't remember what. All I know is that I rather liked the wine.

Frankly though, I tend to think that a straight Blaufränkisch would be mighty fine. Here in Ontario, I think the Central European grapes do very well but their Germanic names are seen as a marketing liability. Why French names are okay but German ones aren't doesn't make any sense when you consider that French spelling is about as phonetic as English ... :?

Indeed Paul,
But, a BLUE FRANC (Or Lemberger, Blaufraenkisch, Kekfrankos) by any other name...
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com