The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Veritas Wine Bar, Washington DC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Veritas Wine Bar, Washington DC

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:56 pm

Comfortable space and good service, but get there early…it fill’s up quite rapidly after 5:30pm (at least on a Friday night, which is when we went).

We had three of the themed flights:

“The Blends” $17
Ash Hollow Sommana, Columbia Valley, Washington 2005: Cloudy, flabby and completey unexciting, I don’t know whether this was just a bad bottle but it was one of the more dissapointing wines I can ever remember tasting.
Shady Grove Lewis & Clark Trail Mix, Washington 2006: Much better than the first, slightly off dry but with good acidity and a nice slightly spicy nose.
Zind-Humbrecht “The Zind”, Alsace 2004: I was excited to try this as I’ve never had a Humbrecht before, and I wasn’t disappointed. The nose was super-intense and kind of dirty in a diesle way…I loved it. The body was quite full and kind of off-dry and loaded with fruit followed by more of the same diesle notes. I can imagine why some people have an aversion, but I totally dug it.

“Three Deadly Zins” $19
Coppola “Directors Cut” Dry Creek Valley, 2005: Too oakey for my personal tastes, it did open up a bit later and come into more balance.
Ridge “Lytton Springs” Dry Creek Valley, 2004: I’m not a huge zin fan, but this is the second I’ve had from this producer and I’ve found them to be very well balanced, not overly alcoholy and actually something I’d seek out. Good stuff.
Turley “Juvenile” California 2005: Don’t remember much about this one, except that I didn’t like it as much as the Ridge but I liked it more than the Coppola.

“The Big Shot” $34
Swanson Merlot, Oakville 2003: No notes
Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley 2002: Big wine, lots of tight berry that will show micely some day when the tannins mellow. Drinkable now, though.
Red Blend Flora Springs Trilogy, Napa Valley 2003: No notes, although I recall this tasting more Bordeaux-ish than the others and was my favorite.

I liked this place, although they are a bit heavy on California – I’d like to see a little more international variety. For James, Jon and the rest of the DC crowd, here’s a link to their menu (cool home page graphics at the top, huh? You’ve got to give it a second or two). Also, I'm psyched to read that there will be an establishment going up right near my apartment called Enology in the space where the Zebra Lounge used to be. A wine bar will be a nice addition to my neighborhood.

http://www.veritasdc.com/
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Veritas Wine Bar, Washington DC

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:16 pm

Zind-Humbrecht “The Zind”, Alsace 2004: I was excited to try this as I’ve never had a Humbrecht before, and I wasn’t disappointed. The nose was super-intense and kind of dirty in a diesle way…I loved it. The body was quite full and kind of off-dry and loaded with fruit followed by more of the same diesle notes. I can imagine why some people have an aversion, but
I totally dug it.

Nice wine!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:14 am

A friend of mine who is something of an expert in California cabs and "meritage" blends and Bordeaux wines thinks highly of the Flora Springs Trilogy so I would say you're showing your good taste. Were the first flight all blended white wines? Do you know what grapes are blended in the Zind?

New wine bars springing up in DC, huh? More reasons to come back for a visit in the new year.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:45 am

Thanks for the link, K and for the notes. I'll try to get there on my way home one day soon.
Jon
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:20 am

JC (NC) wrote:A friend of mine who is something of an expert in California cabs and "meritage" blends and Bordeaux wines thinks highly of the Flora Springs Trilogy so I would say you're showing your good taste. Were the first flight all blended white wines? Do you know what grapes are blended in the Zind?

New wine bars springing up in DC, huh? More reasons to come back for a visit in the new year.

JC, I am having an impossible time finding out what these blends are. I've done several searches on the internet and can only find the Ash Hollow, which is 50SB/50PG. Maybe I'll call Veritas when I get a minute, because this is driving me crazy!

Yes, yes...we will lure you back up here with our burgeoning wine bar scene!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Frank Drew

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Virginia

by Frank Drew » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:40 pm

JC (NC) wrote: Do you know what grapes are blended in the Zind?

JC, Zind is a blend of Pinot Blanc, Auxerrois, and Chardonnay. I think this is the same blend they used to call Pinot d'Alsace, but the inclusion of Chardonnay made that name no longer acceptable to the authorities. Or something like that.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:19 pm

Thanks, Frank.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:22 pm

Frank Drew wrote:
JC (NC) wrote: Do you know what grapes are blended in the Zind?

JC, Zind is a blend of Pinot Blanc, Auxerrois, and Chardonnay. I think this is the same blend they used to call Pinot d'Alsace, but the inclusion of Chardonnay made that name no longer acceptable to the authorities. Or something like that.

True.
Decisions are made by those who show up