The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Two good QPR Pinot Noirs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Two good QPR Pinot Noirs

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:18 pm

I poured at the Metropolitan Cooking and Entertainment show at the DC Convention Center and was in charge of part of the Pinot Noir section. Under my "pourage" fell Kenwood, Serenity, Oreana, Stoneleigh, Hangtime and Talus.

The Kenwood was barely drinkable if you ask me, and most of the people who tasted it were disappointed. Oreana and Talus were drinkable, but way to heavy and not very representative.

The favorites among the crowd were the Stoneleigh from New Zealand, the Hangtime from Edna Valley and the Serenity (in that order).

I think I liked the Hangtime the best, followed closely by the Stoneleigh. Both were light in style, with nice acidity and soft berry scents. They both retail for around $15.99.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Two good QPR Pinot Noirs

by Sue Courtney » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:24 pm

From a kiwi's perspective, that's excellent to hear.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:08 pm

I had six pinots on Saturday and I really liked the Kenwood. I wonder if it was the same cuvee?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 am

I had seen the Serenity at the grocery store and wondered about it. I think I probably fared better picking up the Frei Brothers Russian River Valley Pinot Noir Reserve which I will post on later.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:31 am

JC (NC) wrote:I had seen the Serenity at the grocery store and wondered about it. I think I probably fared better picking up the Frei Brothers Russian River Valley Pinot Noir Reserve which I will post on later.

Looking forward to your notes, JC.

James...I don't know - when I took over the shift, the girl that had been pouring had said that people seemed to really like the Kenwood. I poured from the same bottle though, and I received less than stellar comments on it (which matched my impression). I wonder if it didn't just react badly to too much airtime? Strange...
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt