The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nalle RRV PinotNoir '01...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Nalle RRV PinotNoir '01...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:01 pm

Cracked this open Mon night w/ my grilled cheese samwich:
1. Nalle RussianRvrVlly HopkinsRanch PinotNoir (13.5%) 2001: Med.color w/ slight browning; somewhat cherry/black cherry some toasty/pencilly/smokey/Fr.oak slight herbal complex nose; tart somewhat toasty/very pencilly/cedary/smokey slight herbal bright cherry/spicy very smooth/polished elegant/complex flavor; long lingering very smooth/velvety light cherry/spicy/Pinot fairly pencilly/cedary/smokey/oak finish w/ light tannins; rather pencilly/cedary/oak Pinot but still some bright cherry fruit; very smooth on the palate; ready to drink up. $28.00
1. Doug Nalle is well known for his elegant rather Pinotish Zins; a rather rare commodity any more. He is much less well known for his Pinots and his GWTs. They, too, show the same restraint and elegance you find in his Zins. Often my "go to" wines when I just want something nice to drink.
TomHill
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Nalle RRV PinotNoir '01...(short/boring)

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Tom, to paraphrase that guy from Oklahoma many years ago, (I never met a Nalle wine I didn't like), but his zins have been my benchmark for many years. Many zins are to my liking (can you say Ridge?) but not many give me the full pleasure of one of his. I guess I just like nuance more than I like sledge hammer.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Nalle RRV PinotNoir '01...(short/boring)

by Redwinger » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:10 am

Another fan of Doug Nalle's Zins here (never had his Pinot) and I buy them whenever I see them. As mentioned, they are restrained, somewhat elegant, lower alcohol, and definitely out of step with the majority of Zinfandels taking up shelf space these days. Plus, I have it on good authority that Doug is a nice, graceous person.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!