The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

OK Spanish wine fans listen up!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

Re: OK Spanish wine fans listen up!!

by Victor de la Serna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:21 pm

James Roscoe wrote:You just come off as a blow-hard, which probably isn't your intent. No disrespect intended.

So sorry, James... I see you're newer to this board than me. (Despite the current registration date, I go back to 1996...) Otherwise, you'd know that I've never minded being considered "a blow-hard". I couldn't care less, really. I only engage in debates on matters which I truly know about. Otherwise I shut up.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:28 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:I only engage in debates on matters which I truly know about. Otherwise I shut up.

Making you a definite minority on the internet boards, Victor! :P

Now tell us about Bobal - always wondered if it was just sitting there in your vineyards and got included in your blend by default or if it actually adds something to the wine...(only generally on topic, I know)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:36 pm

It's not WHAT you say, it's the way you say it. We all know and appreciate your expertise in Spanish wine. Have you ever considered that other people have experience in this area too? A little thoughtfulness goes a long way. Cheers!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:51 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Bobal - always wondered if it was just sitting there in your vineyards and got included in your blend by default

My own vineyards are syrah and touriga nacional. I started making wine in 2001 and I didn't use any bobal then. We have rented, through the years, a number of old vineyards planted to our main native varieties (bobal, monastrell/mourvèdre, garnacha tinta/grenache and garnacha tintorera/alicante bouschet). Thus, we specifically sought these varieties. Bobal brings freshness, color, fruit (blackberries, blackcurrants), good structure and some slightly rustic tannins to the blend. It's a difficult but very interesting grape variety that demands a lot of work in the vineyard, low yields and painstaking selection at harvest time. We've just prroduced in 2006 a new wine, Signo, which is 90% bobal.
James Roscoe wrote:It's not WHAT you say, it's the way you say it.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, James: I don't give a hoot about being considered "a blow hard". So you can chide me at will.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Some might find this interesting.

http://www.carpevinumpdx.com/?p=38

Salute
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:12 pm

"the Wiki goes on to say that scientists have proven that the genetic structure of the Monastrell in Spain proves it is actually the Graciano grape, and not Mourvedre after all."

Way to go, Wikipedia. As reliable as usual.

Graciano and monastrell are two entirely different Spanish grape varieties. Wikipedia (like many traditional ampelographers, BTW) is confused by grape synonymies and homonymies: in parts of the Languedoc, graciano is called 'morrastel', hence the confusion.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:46 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote: We've just prroduced in 2006 a new wine, Signo, which is 90% bobal.

Victor, when will the Signo be released? And what price range will it be? I'd be interested in tasting it, and can get my local agent to order some - they already supply my needs for the Finca Sandoval.

Is Touriga very common in that area of Spain BTW? And is the Cuvee TNS only bottled in magnum for any particular reason?
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:53 pm

The production of Signo was minimal in this first vintage, just 235 six-packs, and it's doubtful any will be exported. Touriga nacional is an experimental variety in our region, and I'm the only one growing it. TNS is (for the time being) the only touriga-based blend made in Spain - it's a Portuguese grape, as you know. Precisely because it's so scarce we decided to make it even more 'unique' by only bottling it in magnums and selling it in one-magnum boxes. A second small (1 acre) plot entered production in 2007, so that our production will skyrocket this year to some 1,300 magnums.
Previous