The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Geantet-Pansiot Charmes-Chambertin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

WTN: 2005 Geantet-Pansiot Charmes-Chambertin

by Dan Donahue » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:42 pm

• 2005 Geantet-Pansiot Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru (11/8/2007)
    Opened 3 hours before dinner (a single blind tasting of 11 '05 Burgundies), but not decanted. Color was a clear, dark ruby red. A small taste at opening was bold and tart. By dinner, the nose was warm and full, featuring black fruits and cherry and a hint of spice but not much of the Gevrey funk. On the tongue, it was all about pure and precisely delineated fruits--mostly red with some black fruit. Good acidiity and balance. Lingering finish. Plenty of stuffing to go the distance. It will be interesting to follow its evolution: will the fruits stay this pure or will Gevrey's earthiness present? Young, of course, but showing well now.

The Burgundies opened--from a Potel Bourgogne; villages by Geantet-Pansiot, Bouchard; 1ers by Ecard, Chevillon to the Charmes--all impressed. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2005 Geantet-Pansiot Charmes-Chambertin

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:43 am

Thanks for notes. Sounds quite nice. I've had G-P's Perdrix Maresannay in a couple of vintages including '05 , very impressive for appelation. My general impression is modern but not over the top.

What Chevillon/Ecard wines did you try? Any notes? Thanks
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

IL

by Dan Donahue » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:38 pm

No detailed notes. The Chevillon was the NSG Vaucrains which did not show well this young, no surprise for Chevillon. The Maurice Ecard was the Savigny Peuillets: maybe the QPR of the group. Light red color, almost a Rose. Fresh and lean, it danced on the tongue. Maybe not as complex as the rest, but a steal at $35.

Others that I recall: G-P Gevrey En Champs (tough to find), Bouchard Gevrey village (I bought more), Potel Bourgogne and Lignier-Michelot Gevery village (a new producer for me). All the wines were good. I just did not write down all the names.

There was a lot of debate whether Gevrey-Chambertin is the sweet spot for the vintage.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

IL

by Dan Donahue » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:03 pm

My memory having been refreshed, I can correct the Lignier-Michelot to a MSD Faconnieres 1er.

The missing wines were:

Rene LeClerc Gevrey Champeaux 1er (dark, brooding, will need time)
Guillard Gevrey Platiers VV Village
Roudolphe Demougeot Pommard
Laboure-Roi Gevrey Chambertin (on the upswing?)
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:55 pm

thanks Dan!