The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Ch. La Roque Numismae, Pic Saint Loup, Lanquedoc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2000 Ch. La Roque Numismae, Pic Saint Loup, Lanquedoc

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:31 am

2000 Ch. La Roque Numismae, Pic Saint Loup, Lanquedoc
I double decanted this almost inky black beverage for about 2 hours. 60% Syrah/40% Mourvedre. Just the slightest blackberry fruit and Mourvedre animale poke through on the nose which is marked with redcuced, burnt tire aromas (FWIW, I'm not particularly adverse to reduced notes in my wine). The burnt rubber seemed to blow off over time, but the fruit remains hidden. I suspected I was opening this a few years too early and expected tannins and oak might still be in control. Neither were.
Shut down/bad bottle? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm keeping my hands off my remaining 3 bottles for at least a couple more years.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: WTN: 2000 Ch. La Roque Numismae, Pic Saint Loup, Lanquedoc

by OW Holmes » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:07 pm

Bill, I have loved this wine, and have but one left, which I intend to drink soon. But the last I had was wide open, beautiful, fully expressive - I think about a year ago. I am thinking yours must have been an off bottle, unless you have a very cold cellar. Mine has been kept at 60 F, in keeping with my advancing years.
-OW
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:01 am

Redwinger wrote:2000 Ch. La Roque Numismae, Pic Saint Loup, Lanquedoc
I double decanted this almost inky black beverage for about 2 hours. 60% Syrah/40% Mourvedre. Just the slightest blackberry fruit and Mourvedre animale poke through on the nose which is marked with redcuced, burnt tire aromas (FWIW, I'm not particularly adverse to reduced notes in my wine). The burnt rubber seemed to blow off over time, but the fruit remains hidden. I suspected I was opening this a few years too early and expected tannins and oak might still be in control. Neither were.
Shut down/bad bottle? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm keeping my hands off my remaining 3 bottles for at least a couple more years.
Redwinger

That's a major bummer, Bill. I just checked my database and I don't have any of the '00 CN (I do have the regular Pic St. Loup, though). FWIW, I generally prefer La Roque's other offerings to the Cupa Numismae (doesn't that name just sound like they're doing it for the $?), especially their all-Mourvedre wine that I'm not sure gets imported to the US.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:06 am

Mark Lipton wrote: (doesn't that name just sound like they're doing it for the $?),

Too funny
Smile, it gives your face something to do!