The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How much fluctuation in degrees is allowed for red wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Bottoni

Rank

Just got here

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:45 pm

How much fluctuation in degrees is allowed for red wine?

by John Bottoni » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:41 pm

My Danby wine cellar fridge is fluctuating from 45-54 degrees.
Is this acceptable for storing red wine?
Please reply.
Thanks.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: How much fluctuation in degrees is allowed for red wine?

by Bob Ross » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:40 pm

Welcome to WLDG, John.

Fluctuations of plus or minus five degrees are generally considered too extreme for storing fine red wines. I believe Danby specs this range on their units.

A couple of problems with that range -- if the temp sensor is at the top of the unit, bottles at the bottom will be held much too cold; if the temp sensor is at the bottom of the unit, bottles at the top of the unit will be too hot.

In general, wine fridges are meant for short term storage, less than a year for sure. You probably can get by with those flucuations if you turn your inventory relatively quickly, but you really can't reliably age wine in such a unit.

The Danby is really a nice looking unit and the price is attractive. But it generally is rated lower than higher priced units, in large part because of the wide fluctuations in temps.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:56 am

45-54 is a pretty wide range, but it's also really cold, so I'm not sure I could see it being harmful. Below about 53 degrees your wines will outlive you by a long margin as they just won't evolve. That would be my primary concern.

If you are having that much flutuation you might need to look at the door seal. Is there a cold air leak anywhere around the unit?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:29 am

but, what is your alternative? if its storing at a constant ambient temp of say 65, you are better off as you are.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:37 pm

creightond wrote:but, what is your alternative? if its storing at a constant ambient temp of say 65, you are better off as you are.

Actually, I would say that a constant ambient temperature of 65 is better than a rapidly fluctuating temperature range of 10 degrees between 45 (which is really too low anyway) and 54.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:05 pm

This is my primary reason for not storing more wine...in the San Joaquin Valley it gets mighty hot in Summer. The air temp will go to 75 in the house at times.

On that level, I have a question: Should I keep my reds in the refrigerator, then?
no avatar
User

John Bottoni

Rank

Just got here

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:45 pm

by John Bottoni » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I got this Danby fridge for free.
It is a dual zone which red is stored on top and white is stored on the bottom. I'm trying to figure out if a refridgerator repair man can tamper with this fridge, maybe adjust some settings so the temp can be around 55 degrees. Are there any wine fridges that red wine can be aged in?
Thanks John