The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A few Burgundies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A few Burgundies

by Saina » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:00 pm

• 1996 Antonin Rodet Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières Cave Privée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (11/21/2007)
    Honeyed, floral, well integrating oak; very full body, sweet fruit, high acidity - I like it! It has the typical fullness I often find in Meursault, yet an uncharacterstic freshness also. It seems a bit teenage at the moment, and I would prefer a few years more maturity.
  • 1995 Domaine de Montille Volnay 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (11/21/2007)
    Very light colour. Only 12% abv. A nose of sous bois, vegetation, red toned fruit - the very essence of what I seek in Pinot. Good body, taut, nervous, tannic a bit rustic but a very, very charming wine that I find a joy to drink just now, and will probably drink well for quite some time still. I love it!
  • 1996 Daniel Bocquenet Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (11/21/2007)
    A rather dark toned and rustic nose with lots of Pinosity - I rather enjoyed it though I did sense more oak than necessary. It is tannic and rustic, full bodied and a rather masculine expression of Pinot. I like it, but it isn't GC level (but neither is its price).
  • 1996 Jean-Jacques Confuron Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (11/21/2007)
    A nose of very sweet strawberry - it is rather a one-track nose, and unfortunately coupled with a great deal more oak than I would prefer. The palate is quite a bit more enjoyable with not as much oak showing, but rather a combination of red berries, high acid and lots of sweet fruit. Long and refreshing. A very decent modern styled wine (if that's what you like...) but caught at a tough moment.
  • 1999 Pascal Bouley Volnay 1er Cru Ronceret - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (11/21/2007)
    Dark. A nose of blueberry oak, purple fruit, over-ripeness. It tastes over-extracted, hollow, finishes short. Off-bottle or just offensive?
  • 2003 Louis Boillot Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (11/21/2007)
    Lactic at first, but opens up to a rather dark toned Pinosity, very sweet. Good body, good structure, not over the top despite the year - enjoyable, but not something I would seek for myself.

Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: A few Burgundies

by Bill Hooper » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:27 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:[*]1996 Daniel Bocquenet Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (11/21/2007)
A rather dark toned and rustic nose with lots of Pinosity - I rather enjoyed it though I did sense more oak than necessary. It is tannic and rustic, full bodied and a rather masculine expression of Pinot. I like it, but it isn't GC level (but neither is its price).

I too like Daniel Bocquenet and his wines (the man is just as rustic.) And I also rarely find Echezeaux to be worthy of Grand Cru designation.

Thanks for the notes.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:40 pm

You drink very well, my young friend... do you source these? I don't think your cellar is that deep, is it??? And what are the prices on these if you are sourcing????

I ask not to pry, but because I would like to add some older burgundies to my cellar.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:12 am

James Dietz wrote:You drink very well, my young friend... do you source these?

No, they were sourced by our host, probably from http://www.belgiumwinewatchers.com .

I don't think your cellar is that deep, is it??? And what are the prices on these if you are sourcing????

Sadly not. I have no idea, but the tasting was c.40€ (the Clos Vougeot was a magnum and cost 180€ that's all I know of specific prices).

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.