The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pre-Thanksgiving Wines (Mission Hill, D Arthur, Kerpen)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Pre-Thanksgiving Wines (Mission Hill, D Arthur, Kerpen)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:48 pm

A few of the things we opened on the two nights prior to Thanksgiving. These wines were far better than the wines we drank on the actual turkey day.

2004 Mission Hill Winery Oculus - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (11/23/2007)
I thought I was pulling the 2002, but got the 2004 instead. No matter it was excellent, with bright red fruit, good acidity, just a touch of oak & an overall well-balanced and slightly austere (in a good way) style. It could age a few years & might gain a bit more complexity.

2002 David Arthur Meritaggio - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (11/23/2007)
Served alongside the Mission Hill, this was pretty close to a polar opposite. Rich, a touch thick and very fruity, the Sangivese component kept it from going over the top with solid acidity and a lighter, strawberry frutiness. Not my style for daily drinking, but good with a steak.

2006 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese * - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (11/20/2007)
This is a huge and imposing spatlese with lots of botrytis that needs several years to come around. Even after two days in the fridge it was still thick and impenetrable. There's plenty of fruit and acid though, so the future looks good.

More good stuff likely tonight.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Pre-Thanksgiving Wines (Mission Hill, D Arthur, Kerpen)

by Jenise » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:05 pm

Can't believe you picked off the 04 instead! Glad you enjoyed the wine anyway. Did it need decanting?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Jenise wrote:Can't believe you picked off the 04 instead! Glad you enjoyed the wine anyway. Did it need decanting?

I made the mistake of putting the '02 right where I would find it. Of course I didn't go to that spot when picking a bottle.

No decanting needed.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:32 pm

Well, now you're primed for the 02 whenever you get around to it. Should be a bigger wine, but who knows.