The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine grapes for cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Wine grapes for cooking?

by Greg H » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:36 pm

I like to have a bottle of white wine open and available to be used for cooking. I choose a wine of moderate price, but still quite drinkable following the guidance to only cook with wine that you wouldn't mind drinking. What wines/ wine grapes do you prefer to use for cooking?

Greg
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Wine grapes for cooking?

by Sue Courtney » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:47 pm

We did some slow cooked pork and apple in sauvignon blanc last night. Turned out OK. And the dish went well with the left over wine, too.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:13 pm

We use freshly opened wine similar to what we will be drinking if possible. However, if a recipe calls for a half cup of this or even a cup of that we reach for the ole standbys. White is easy. We keep an open bottle of dry vermouth on hand for these occasions. For a red we will use a journeyman port if there is sweetness in the recipe than can be reduced or eliminated. We also try to keep a 1.5 of something red from South America if the port won't work.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:16 pm

If you can find them, unripe grapes of any vitis vinifera persuasion are a tasty additive to stews. They are slightly tart and tannic, but still offer a hint of refreshing sweetness. It's kind of like using verjus. My girlfriend tosses them into a variety of dishes with surprisingly pleasant results. You'd probably have to head to your local Iranian grocer to get them, but they do make for a fun culinary experiment.

Sue's slow cooked pork would have been a great place for them!

As for the cooking wine, I always try to find something white and unoaked for most dishes, but it has to be something I'd enjoy drinking in and of itself ... although I have been known to use Two Buck Chuck in my Hamburger Helper dishes. :wink:
And now what?