The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Helsinki off-line (Musar, Ridge, Joguet, Gilette)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTNs: Helsinki off-line (Musar, Ridge, Joguet, Gilette)

by Saina » Sat May 20, 2006 5:45 pm

Wade Hostler from eBob was visiting Finland so we put up a little off-line. Last time he visited Finland we opened a Musar 1993 which he loved, so we put a few more nice Musars today. He also mentioned he likes Loire whites, so I introduced him to Loire reds. He brought some fascinating stuff from the other side of the pond which was a great privilage to taste over here.

Chateau Musar Rouge 1972
Still a fairly dark colour, some orange at the rim (but so have younger Musars!). The nose was magnificent: lots of sour cherry, a touch of VA, some earthiness. The palate was sweetly fruity, with lovely acidity, great harmony and nuance and unbelievable length. Still a youngster, but an approachable one. Among the best Musars I've had.

Chateau Musar Rouge 1991
My all time favourite red Musar. Approximately as evolved colour as the 1972. The nose was very sweetly fruity with quite a bit of volatility, a touch more dark toned than the 1972, but still red berry dominated. The palate was likewise sweet and plump but with the trademark Musar acidity. Unbelievably long. Superb potential. This was much less evolved than I remembered it to be. Bury in the cellar for 30 years or so.

Chateau Musar Blanc 1990
Gold. The nose at first was quite oaky, with hints of very ripe strawberry and raspberry - Wade said peach youghurt, and I'll buy that. I left it in the glass for over an hour and it certainly became better: Cantillon's Gueuze on the nose, immense plum fruit yet minerals and even earthy. The palate became a paradoxical and pleasant mix of tart acids and ripe fruit and immense minerals. Fantastic stuff, but needed 5 hours double decanted to show its stuff. Excellent, but young.

Arcadian Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir 1998 (Monterey)
Corked. I tried to taste it, but I shouldn't have: very badly corked, I couldn't taste anything for a few minutes afterwards.... A shame, as I'm always interested in trying new stuff.

Ridge York Creek Cabernet Sauvignon 1990
Another American wine that Wade kindly brought from the US. Still a very dark colour. The nose was pleasantly savoury yet still with classic Cabernet fruit of cassis, a touch of lovely and fresh greenness, still a hint of oak showing and very ripe but not over-ripe fruit. The palate was very fruity, but still with a touch of tannins, fairly high acidity, lovely savoury notes, and a lovely aftertaste of the purest cassis. Long and quite lovely. The first Californian Cab that I've truly enjoyed, even though Wade said this wasn't a "typical" showing of it.

Joguet Chinon Clos du Chêne Vert 1997
Juicy shit on both nose and palate. 'nuff said? Frigging fantastic stuff! Gladly my guests liked it as well!

Chateau Gilette Crème du Tête 1983
I thought this slightly corked, but still there was plentiful apricots and botrytis noticable. A more elegant Sauternes than most with lovely acidity and intensity on the palate but never becoming too weighty. Lovely, despite not being only a shadow of what I remembered it to be from my last (and sadly only other) tasting of it.

It was quite a lovely evening with good company, good wines, not quite so good food (i.e. made by the moi, the eternal apprentice in the kitchen).
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.