The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: One more good cheap Burgundy!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: One more good cheap Burgundy!

by Saina » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Domaine Fougeray de Beauclair Fixin Clos Marion 1996 13% abv; c.15€

Light red, some orange on the rim. Image Delightfully rustic nose with perhaps some animality also; but there is lovely, beetrooty, vegetal and red toned Pinosity also. The fruit is sweet and ripe, it is well structured and refreshing. I find this to be at quite the optimum stage of development for my taste with still some sweetness, but also plenty of earthiness. Nice! Boeuf Bourguignon was quite the ideal dish with this - it might be thought heretical, but I think I might prefere a properly earthy Fixin with the dish than a Chambertin!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: One more good cheap Burgundy!

by Sam Platt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Otto,

I love the '96's. We have several 1er Cru and a few Grand Cru still held back waiting for the go ahead from one of my Burgundy Gurus. You must have bought this Fixin a few years back to have picked it up for 15 Euro. That is almost free by todays standards!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:08 am

Yes! Thanks for posting. (I have good, inalienable memories of fine times sparked by excellent and affordable Fixins.)

"Goutons voir si le vin est bon!"

--
I have paid out little money to better end than that which I have spent on sound burgundy. -- Yoxall (ISBN 0812860918)
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:42 pm

Sam Platt wrote:You must have bought this Fixin a few years back to have picked it up for 15 Euro. That is almost free by todays standards!

Actually I bought it just a few weeks back! :) Ok, I'll admit, it was a private sale and a little bit cheaper than what it seems to cost elsewhere - but even at 17€ that Winesearcher found it, it is a good deal.

Max, I'd love to hear more names of good Fixins: apart from this, I've enjoyed Pierre Gelin's Clos Napoléon. Others?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:41 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Max, I'd love to hear more names of good Fixins

Here are a couple of them, widely separated in time. (The appellation is another one of those noted for good value in Burgundy. I should have mentioned it along with Aloxe-Corton, Auxey-Duresses, Santenay, and St.-Aubin in third paragraph of This recent summary.)

1971 Lebaron Fixin "La Maziere," bought 1982 at USD $25

1995 Mongeard-Mugneret Fixin (AOC), bought 1998 at USD $22 (VVW, San Francisco)
[2000 TN: black-peppery smell and finish, plummy-pitty fruits, tannin starting to fade]