The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN] Rouge 1er Cru Les Grande Vigne 2005 Domaine Parize

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN] Rouge 1er Cru Les Grande Vigne 2005 Domaine Parize

by MattThr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:02 pm

I was after a bottle of Burgundy that emphasised the sweet spice - cinnamon and nutmeg - flavours that sometimes appear in the wine. This was the suggestion of my local wine retailer.

=====

Seems much darker than other Burgundy I have seen - nice, clear, ruby red.

Smell has the usual Burgundy undergrowth notes, enriched by smoke and a little licorice.

The taste seems surprisingly fruity for old world Pinot Noir - concentrated cherry and strawberry predominate, there's a hint of red apple
and the smoke and licorice flavors give the whole a bit of backbone. The wine is light and silky smooth - really beautifully balanced.

Finish seemed rather short but after drinking this I did have the curious experience of suddenly finding the Burgundy undergrowth flavour repeating on me at irregular intervals for the rest of the night.

=====

So, very nice indeed but no sweet spice that I could detect. Better pop back to the shop and get a bottle of the St Aubin where I originally picked those flavours up!
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

Re: [WTN] Rouge 1er Cru Les Grande Vigne 2005 Domaine Parize

by Paul Savage » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:58 am

Not familiar with this producer, but I remember a N-St-G "Grandes Vignes" from either Rion or Michelot that was quite good. These wines from the southern part of NSG, which is called Premeaux, tend to be on the darker, fuller side, though there are interesting differences due to the style of the particular producer. Domaine de L'Arlot, for instance, makes more fragrant and elegant wines from this area, at least based on what I've tasted, from vineyards like their Clos de L'Arlot.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: [WTN] Rouge 1er Cru Les Grande Vigne 2005 Domaine Parize

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:19 am

MattThr wrote:The taste seems surprisingly fruity for old world Pinot Noir

I don't know exactly what you mean by fruity, but 2005 was a ripe year in Burgundy.