The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Small Plates: Worth The Money?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Small Plates: Worth The Money?

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:24 pm

This past Sunday evening we continued the celebration of my better two-third's "21st" birthday at a wine bar and small plates bistro in Walnut Creek, CA called Va de Vi (per the house, "It's about the wine," in Catalan).

<center>Image
Click me! :P
</center>
We had Lechon ($14), Thai Chicken Papaya Salad ($9), Lobster Gnocchi ($17), Crispy Duck Meatballs ($10), Duck Confit ($12), Grilled Wild King Salmon ($16), Ahi Tempura Roll ($10), Scallops on Squid Ink Risotto ($$?) and a couple of desserts.

Winewise I had:

'06 ESJ, "Witters Vineyard," Pinot Gris, El Dorado County, California, USA
'05 Valle dell'Acate, "Il Frappato," Vittoria Frappato DOC, Sicily, Italy
'05 Jean-Maurice Raffault, "Les Galuches," Cab Franc, Chinon, France
'05 Longwood, "The Shearer," Shiraz, McLaren Vale, Australia
'00 Lang & Reed, "Premier Etage," Library Release, Cab Franc, Napa, California, USA

All the food was well prepared and tasty. The portions were, say, about two-thirds of a real entrée.

Of the wines I had the most fun with the Frappato which was light and lively and something I think I'd like in the summer. The Long was pretty good and went well with everything. The Lang & Reed tasted like it, uh, came from Napa. It wasn't bad, but it was no surprise ... another one like the other one.

The question is whether it all makes sense. It did from the point of view of entertainment value. There were five of us and we all got full up and had fun dropping things off our chopsticks.

<center>Image
The five of us! :lol: </center>

The total came to about $175.00 before the tip, although we got a healthy employee discount since one of the boys is a runner there. I don't think that was much of a bill for five grown-ups ... ok, four grown-ups and me.

When I do the cost accounting, cooking, plating, serving and clean-up etc. probably cost the same (if not more sometimes) for small plates as for regular entrées. The only real difference is the cost of the actual food, but is this such a critical cost? So is the consumer getting more or less value from this trend? I'm curious to see how the restaurants make their money here and whether I should just do my grazing at an all-you-can-eat buffet instead!

By the way, I'd go back again. It was quite pleasant.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Small Plates: Worth The Money?

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:10 am

Just so I can figure out if I can afford a meal there, what would the cost have been without the discount? And, of course, did you notice if they had anything vegetarian on the menu?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:30 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Just so I can figure out if I can afford a meal there, what would the cost have been without the discount? And, of course, did you notice if they had anything vegetarian on the menu?

That was the cost without the discount. We actually paid less than $100.00 before tip. I did see one or two things ... not a lot, but you can click on the pic to go to their website and look at the menu.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Gary,

When we are in the area, we love going to this place as well. Nice downtown area with all the required shops. Last time there with clients (four people) the bill was well North of $600......mostly due to the wine ordered...which as the prices are pretty fair from an East Coast perspective, took a bit of work. Nice selections for very reasonable prices, like a Graillot for around $50 last time..can't remember exactly.

Great place!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Michael K wrote:Gary,
When we are in the area, we love going to this place as well. Nice downtown area with all the required shops. Last time there with clients (four people) the bill was well North of $600......mostly due to the wine ordered...which as the prices are pretty fair from an East Coast perspective, took a bit of work. Nice selections for very reasonable prices, like a Graillot for around $50 last time..can't remember exactly.

Great place!

Michael, I own a business suit and brown shows. I clean up nice, too. Next time you're here, invite me along!! (By the way, much of the waitstaff is made up of gamers so bring your Second Life identity along, too!)

Considering it's Walnut Creek and the East Bay, I actually didn't find the wine prices totally out of whack. I like the three three-ounce tasting flights, too.
And now what?