The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wines we opened at communal Thanksgiving dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Wines we opened at communal Thanksgiving dinner

by JC (NC) » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:43 pm

No real notes on this occasion.

I took four wines to our church Thanksgiving dinner following the noon service. I held back the Gobelsburg Riesling (Austria) to see if the other white wine was finished and it wasn't quite, so I took the Austrian wine home. We had DOMAINE SCHLUMBERGER (SP?) GEWURZTRAMINER) FLEUR from Alsace--quite spicy and a big hit with the white wine drinkers. I put out the Banfi Rosa Regale (semisweet sparkling rose') with the Droste pastille chocolates (half milk chocolate/half bittersweet chocolate) and the diners got the idea and tried the sparkler with the chocolates. I had a little of the Gewurz but mainly drank from the DOMAINE SERENE YAMHILL CUVEE PINOT NOIR (Oregon.) I enjoyed it but know it would have been even better in crystal wine glasses rather than the paper cups. I didn't want to risk my good wine glasses having had two broken at church events in the past (one my fault when I let the glasses clink together on the way into the church and one by a young lad who used my good crystal for his orange juice.)
The meal was terrific--about 40-50 people present. Three turkeys, a ham, sweet potato dishes (I took one topped with a dried apricot/crushed pineapple syrup), green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, a salad with cranberries, nuts, celery and other fruits, corn pudding, cake, pumpkin and sweet potato pies, etc. There were enough leftovers that I took home some turkey and ham and portions of two side dishes along with the leftover sweet potato dish.
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

Re: Wines we opened at communal Thanksgiving dinner

by Paul Savage » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:41 am

The wines sound right for the menu!