The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: RWC Champagne Le Mesnil, Leeuwin Art Chard, Reserve de la Comtesse 95

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: RWC Champagne Le Mesnil, Leeuwin Art Chard, Reserve de la Comtesse 95

by Jay Labrador » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Notes from today's lunch at Nanohana with the usual suspects. All the wines once again supplied by Jojo.

Rare Wine Company Champagne Le Mesnil Grand Cru NV - Very fresh tasting although as it warmed up it did pick up some bready/yeasty character. A bit lemony. Medium bodied. There seems to be a very slight sweetness on the attack but finishes quite dry and long. I thought this was excellent and a great match for my sushi.

Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay 2004 - On the nose, mandarin orange and smoky oak. Surprisingly soft and well integrated for such a young wine. The oak is noticeable but not intrusive. Already good to drink.

Reserve de la Comtesse 1995 - From Magnum. Second wine of Pichon Lalande. Lovely ripe fruits with an underlay of cedar on the nose. Well-balanced and quite easy to drink. There's a slightly jarring acidic punch on the finish but with food, it doesn't really matter much. The tannins are very fine with a dusty/powdery texture. A good wine that's probably at peak now.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: RWC Champagne Le Mesnil, Leeuwin Art Chard, Reserve de la Comtesse 95

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:08 pm

Jay Labrador wrote:
Reserve de la Comtesse 1995 - From Magnum. Second wine of Pichon Lalande. Lovely ripe fruits with an underlay of cedar on the nose. Well-balanced and quite easy to drink. There's a slightly jarring acidic punch on the finish but with food, it doesn't really matter much. The tannins are very fine with a dusty/powdery texture. A good wine that's probably at peak now.

Interesting notes Jay. I'm a big fan of 2nd wines from top Bordeaux Chateaux, at least until price goes beyond reason (i.e. 2005). I've had the 2000 Reserve de la Comtesse in the last 6 months, and it needed maybe another year or so to totally blossom from 750ml. Obviously a mag will progress more slowly.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi David,

The 2000 Reserve de la Comtesse is possibly one of the finest second wines I've tried although I haven't had it in a while. Recently, a '98 Pavillon Rouge was also very impressive.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:46 pm

Jay Labrador wrote:Hi David,

The 2000 Reserve de la Comtesse is possibly one of the finest second wines I've tried although I haven't had it in a while. Recently, a '98 Pavillon Rouge was also very impressive.

When my group tasted a bunch of 2000 2nds we were thrilled by the Pavillon Rouge.

I'm a big fan of the Clos du Marquis (in many vintages), though it's not really a 2nd wine, more a different plot of land than Las Cases.
Decisions are made by those who show up