The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Champagne Extravaganza (incl. Bolly, Krug, Dom, etc.)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

TN: Champagne Extravaganza (incl. Bolly, Krug, Dom, etc.)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Spent yesterday afternoon at Table & Vine for their annual Champagne event. Tasted about 40 different bubblies, and had a few that really turned my head, even NV. Just for fun I am also including my wife Laura's impressions (good, bad, great...) as well.

Specific NV highlights included the current releases of:

Bollinger Special Cuvée - really showing more depth that practically any NV on show, and just delicious in that substantial Bollinger style. Laura was also quite enthused by this (we split a case with a friend)

Krug NV - Outstanding, and the best Krug NV I have had in a long time. Richness, that slightly oxidating Krug signature & fantastic length. Yes Krug NV can be a value! (Note: I have never subscribed to the Krug NV slipping since the new label theory) Laura loved this & has never before been impressed with Krug NV.

Billecart-Salmon Rosé NV - Pale, strawberry, citrus & great balance. Just delicious. Laura was a fan of this as well.

Fallet-Dart Rosé NV - (Excuse me if I didn't get the name exactly right) This is a producer that T&V is bringing in for themselves (I think they have a New England exclusive), and the Rosé was my favorite of three (though the 2002 Vintage was really good as well - first 2002 I have tried) with tons of red fruit and good balance. Laura was not as enthused - thought it was good but that's all. I thought it was really great - shows what I know.

Laurent-Perrier Brut NV - I was never a fan until a couple of years ago, but this once again showed really well. Citrus, yeasty & very well balanced. Laura liked this as well.

Please pardon that I did not write down the lot numbers...

Vintage wine highlights:

1999 Delamotte - This was my very first taste of a Delamotte vintage wine, and it won't be my last. A very interesting and engaging buttery note (but apparently no malolactic or wood aging for these wines...interesting) along with good depth of fruit and great length. Exciting to taste this. Laura was also a big fan.

1996 Salon - Gee, what a shock, Salon that is tight as a drum but shows more potential than Jacoby Ellsbury, Joba Chamberlain & Clay Bucholtz combined. Yes the price is getting to the stratosphere, but apparently when the '97 comes out it's only going higher, so stock up now. Delicious. Laura also thought it was great but incredibly young and tight.

1996 Veuve Cliquot Grand Dame - I have never been a VC fan, but this won me over. Depth, fresh fruit and a very bright and refreshing (and long) finish. Delicious. Laura liked it, but preferred other things.

1999 Dom Perignon - Way too young, but there's good potential here. Right now it's almost painfully bright and unevolved. Laura didn't really care for this, but she's not a fan of Dom Perignon in general.

1999 Perrier-Jouet Fleur de Champagne - Another 1999 that is way too young to drink, but this is showing more depth and potential complexity than the Dom. Laura liked it but again thought it way too young to really assess now.

That's the highlights. There were a lot more things I tated & thought were up to their usual standard (e.g. Pol Roger White Label, Duval-Leroy NV, etc.), but didn't make the highlight list.

At the end Laura got to pick out her birthday present Champagne. No shock that she chose something not in the tasting: 1995 Krug.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

Re: TN: Champagne Extravaganza (incl. Bolly, Krug, Dom, etc.)

by Michael K » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:53 pm

T & V have moved around so much, not even sure where their store is any more. I guess you are back int New England for a visit?

I also love the latest Krug NV. Pricey for me but still bought a few bottles. Some people say that even with the NV, it is best to leave for a couple of years. What are your opinions on this?

I've been a fan of Delamotte for a while. Moderately priced and some of the grapes sourced from Salon so I look for the non-salon years in particular :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Champagne Extravaganza (incl. Bolly, Krug, Dom, etc.)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:00 pm

I live in Northern CT, so T&V's new store (West Springfield, MA) is more convenient for me than the old one in Northampton.

I like Krug NV young and old. The current release is so darned delicious now that I don't think I will lay it down.

I meant to ask the rep if there would be a '99 Salon, but forgot, so the "Salon content" of the '99 is for now a mystery.
Decisions are made by those who show up