The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I was feeling crabby today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

I was feeling crabby today

by John Treder » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:20 pm

The oil spill in San Francisco Bay delayed the start of the crab season a bit, but they finally started last week.
I was feeling the NEED for some fresh local Dungeness crab, so I went over to Race Street Fish & Poultry and bought a couple of crabs - $6.98 per pound, same price as most of last year. I made a Caesar salad and hacked up the end of a loaf of Acme sour french.

Oh yeah, this is a wine forum!
I had a bottle of Boeckel "Zotzenberg" Alsace Grand Cru Gewürztraminer 1999 lurking in the Vinotemp. It seemed like a good idea to me.
Honey and nutmeg and petrol on first taste. Sweet, spicy aroma, gold to amber color. Thick legs. Creamy mouth feel. A little acidity and perhaps some oak?
Time for dinner. Pefect match! After being open for a couple of hours, something like citron or candied orange peel or Christmas fruitcake in the finish.
I think it was a steal, but I thought it was expensive when I bought it for $17.10 in May 2001.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: I was feeling crabby today

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:05 am

John, Gewurztraminer is the subject of this month`s Wine Focus. We are not that crabby over there!! Take a looksie.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: I was feeling crabby today

by John Treder » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Yeah, I noticed the focus subject this morning.

John