The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

My first post!!! Ecclectic Wine TN's-CdR; White Burg; CA; MI; WA; Bdx.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Warren T

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:56 am

Bellingham, WA by way of Ann Arbor

My first post!!! Ecclectic Wine TN's-CdR; White Burg; CA; MI; WA; Bdx.

by Warren T » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:16 pm

I'm a refugee from another wine BB. I noticed most of my friends from our tasting group post here, so I thought I'd visit. Some of these ratings were adjusted after day two.

• 2005 Le Clos du Caillou Côtes du Rhône Vieilles Vignes Cuvée Unique - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (12/9/2007)
    I've now had a few, but failed to write notes. I alway sense strawberry and dark raspberry in young Grenache-based wines, & this was no exception. Fruit driven, with nice minerality and balance. Beautiful CdR at a reasonable price. (90 pts.)
  • 2005 Peninsula Cellars Gewürztraminer Old Mission Peninsula Manigold Vineyard - USA, Michigan (12/9/2007)
    Similar notes as last bottle. Very enjoyable. It's lost most of the residual CO2. Intensely floral wine, with lychees, rose petals & white fruit. (88 pts.)
  • 2000 Château Lusseau - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (12/8/2007)
    Drank the day it arrived in its shipper, bottle-shock and all. A feminine, elegant wine. Subtle aromas of black cherry, moist earth, tobacco. At the stage where the fruit and secondary characteristics coexist without one dominating. A solid, beautiful wine. Missed day #2; by day #3, the sealed bottle had badly oxidized. (89 pts.)
  • 2000 O'Shaughnessy Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (12/1/2007)
    Dark berries, now dominated by secondary aromas; leather, tobacco, licorice. A slight green quality, but still nice. This is my least favorite vintage of this wine. It was on my yearly "buy list" prior to the recent price increase. (89 pts.)
  • 2004 Vincent Girardin Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru (11/30/2007)
    Amazing. Crisp and clean; green apple, some tropical tones, and mineral notes. Brisk attack leads to long, elegant finish. (95 pts.)

I later opened a 2002, and found that to be marred by oak; still a solid wine, but not the caliber of the 2004. My own explanations [AKA guesses] are 1.) the 2004 in the 375 cc aged faster and integrated the oak better than the '02 750cc; 2.) The wine maker thought the ripe '02 fruit would soak up more oak; or 3.) I'm a complete idiot for opening these wines so young (in my defense, I've had several oxidized white burgs from the late '90's)
  • 2004 Januik Syrah Lewis Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (11/27/2007)
    This has evolved nicely in the past year. Dense but bright purple. Dark berries, coffee and chocolate on the nose. Very youthful, without any secondary aromas or flavors. Balanced and elegant despite its concentration. Great fruit, outstanding wine making, and excellent value. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: My first post!!! Ecclectic Wine TN's-CdR; White Burg; CA; MI; WA; Bdx.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:35 pm

All refugees welcome here! You will get lots of enthusiastic response with TNs like that! Warren, where are you?
Btw, we are tasting Gwt on Wine Focus this month. Check out the notes.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:00 pm

Welcome, Warren! Glad to have you aboard... as it were. 8)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: My first post!!! Ecclectic Wine TN's-CdR; White Burg; C

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Warren, welcome to the WLDG, I am sure you will find us a friendly, warm place to post on wine. I have been drinking wine for 40+ years and seldom a day goes by that I don't learn something here.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Kevin O'Connell

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Maryland

by Kevin O'Connell » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:03 pm

Welcome Warren, I'm a newbie myself. :roll: I'm always surprised when I see a note that a wine such as the 2000 Lusseau would deteriorate so quickly for such a young'n. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to oxidation.

Kevin
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi Warren and welcome. Gewurtz is the wine of the month in the Wine Focus forum. You could cross-post the 2005 Peninsula Cellars Gewürztraminer Old Mission Peninsula Manigold Vineyard there and read up on a few others.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:31 am

Hello Warren. Welcome, and thanks for the notes. Your post on the Peninsula Cellars Gewurtz suggests you might just be from Michigan, since I don't think much is exported from the state. Where are you located?
-OW
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:02 am

Welcome, Warren! We're glad you found your way here, and with a diverse collection of TNs like that, I think you're going to fit right in!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:56 pm

WARREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought this might be you when I saw your opening introduction, but it was your TN on the Corton that confirmed it. In fact, I was reminded of your Girardin Corton yesterday when I was putting some other 04 Girardins away in our cellar.

Glad you found your way here.

What a shame about the Lusseau--wouldn't expect an 00 to tank like that. Fade, maybe, but that much oxidation in three days? Surprising. I haven't opened any of my 00 Bdx's--still nibbling around the edges of my lower end 98's and 99's while letting my better 94's-96's mature.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Seems like Jenise and Warren are pals(wink grin nudge)!!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Welcome, Warren. Great notes. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:54 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Seems like Jenise and Warren are pals(wink grin nudge)!!!!

We are indeed. Along with Marc D who also posts on this board we've recently formed a tasting group called Grand Crew.
no avatar
User

Warren T

Rank

Wine geek

by Warren T » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:12 pm

Operator error may have contributed to the decline. There was about a glass worth remaining in the bottle when I first resealed it. It was at the end of a party, and I don't remember if I sealed it that night or the next morning. The small amount remaining and the prolonged time it was open probably contributed; by the third night re-taste, it was halfway to sherry.
no avatar
User

Warren T

Rank

Wine geek

by Warren T » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:18 pm

Jenise!!!
This BB is a breath of fresh air. I've got 3 more of the Lusseau, so we can crack another next time the Grand Crew meets.
I'll figure out how to post my (embarrassing) blind TN's from our Southern Rhone-fest.
WT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:38 pm

Warren, we need to get a Bordeaux nite on the schedule soon. My cellar's like half Bordeaux. Washington Cabs/Cab blends is up next, right? Oh, and guess what, just heard about an older fellow in town who bought a bunch of Bordeaux based on good Parker reviews back in the 80's, and he doesn't like the wines. He'd rather drink young Spanish monastrells, so he wants to sell. No Firsts but all classed growths, mostly 86's. I am SO ready to help him out.
no avatar
User

Warren T

Rank

Wine geek

by Warren T » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:15 pm

Jenise,
Of course, I will also volunteer to help dispose of his Bdx if you're unable to fully assist him! :)
Warren
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:48 pm

Warren, I'll let you know of any way you can be of service. 8)
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Hey Warren,

Thanks for posting here, it is a great forum.

Regarding 02 white burgs, I had a similar experience recently with a Pouilly Vinzelles from La Soufrandiere, where the new oak was really sticking out, but the same 04 tasted just fine. Not quite the same league as your Corton Ch., but maybe a similar closed phase the 2002s are in.

I'm still mourning Bip and can't seem to shake this funk, but will be back posting some notes soon.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:06 pm

Warren, nice job. Let me add a belated welcome to the one and only WLDG!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.