The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Few Grüner Veltliners

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: A Few Grüner Veltliners

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:16 am

2004 Schloss Gobelsburg GV “Steinsetz”
This goes down very very quickly. Ripe firm focused, mineral, everything in proportion and drinking very well right now. Three of us made very very quick work of the bottle.

2001 Schloss Gobelsburg GV “Steinsetz”
Not as exuberant as the 04 Steinsetz, this provides a more subdued experience. Shows all the pieces: honey, sugar snap vegetals, minerals, but not always composed or singing together. I wonder if this just needs more time? How long does one age Steinsetz?

2005 Schloss Gobelsburg GV “Lamm”
Lovely. I had a bottle of the 05 Steinsetz a few weeks ago, and that was showing much fatter and juicier, while this is Classier, More Elegant. A bit tight at first, but opens up considerably with air, with clear crystal juicy tropical fruit. Plenty of weight and plenty of fruit, but never oily, never the full-bore fruit of those HeadPounding Young Gruners, and more in the sleek metal linear mineral mold. Nice mixture that I could get into.

2004 Schloss Gobelsburg GV “Lamm”
I was not moved by this wine. Others have spoken highly of it, so it may be closed? But, for me it started off showing more integrated than the 05, and I was optimistic. But then with a bit of air the oak took over and never let go. The balance and poise were there for the structural elements, so that may bode well for the future. But the flavors spoke of nothing that I know as GV, and it didn’t have much to interest me at the moment.

2001 Bründlmayer GV “Ried Lamm”
This was by far my favorite of the wines in this note. Golden herbal grüner that is compact upon opening, but with a few hours in the decanter the focus, poise, and electricity emerge. Lovely focused framed firm dollop of fruit, with a powerful perfumed finish, elegance, elegance, and enough minerals to complete the package. A spirit elevating wine that may be slightly too herbal and pungent for some weird people, but this is a lovely expression of wine for Rahsaan.

2005 Buchegger GV “Gebling”
A whack of rich fruit to wrap around your tongue (or to wrap your tongue around). Plus minerality. Nothing profoundly elegant to enrapture me, but very impressive for the price of $15. And, apparently Herr Buchegger learned the lesson and was informed that this was “too good” for the price. So subsequent vintages went up considerably in price.

2006 Summerer GV “Steinhaus”
Crisp carbonated pale spicy GV, this is for drinking outside on hot days, but not much to ponder.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A Few Grüner Veltliners

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:03 am

Steinsetz is usually an early drinker (first 5 years) for me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:48 am

A spirit elevating wine that may be slightly too herbal and pungent for some weird people,

I had to laugh when I read this, Rahsaan I`m weird!!! I love this kinda GV.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I had to laugh when I read this, Rahsaan I`m weird!!! I love this kinda GV.

Sounds good, but it sounds like we're normal. I meant that all those who don't like this wine are weird.. :D
no avatar
User

Jamie Goode

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:31 am

by Jamie Goode » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:55 am

Really, really like the Schloss Gobelsburg wines - show delicacy and finesse, as well as expressing their sites well. My two favourites are the Riesling Alte Reben and the Tradition.
Best wishes
Jamie Goode
http://www.wineanorak.com/blog
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:17 am

Jamie Goode wrote:Really, really like the Schloss Gobelsburg wines - show delicacy and finesse, as well as expressing their sites well. My two favourites are the Riesling Alte Reben and the Tradition.

Another big fan of the Riesling Alte Reben here. I even liked it in 2003 when many Austrian whites showed the usual 2003 nasties. It's a big Riesling to be sure, but it's also packed with fruit flavors & minerals.
Decisions are made by those who show up