The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brewer-Clifton, Ambullneo, Grand Mayne, Clos Marquis, Cougar C, Siduri

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Brewer-Clifton, Ambullneo, Grand Mayne, Clos Marquis, Cougar C, Siduri

by Jenise » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:42 pm

2000 Brewer Clifton "Rozak Ranch"
Over a year ago I wondered in a TN if the fruit in this wine would ever catch up to the acidity. We had our last bottle last week and the answer is, I don't think so. We were able to drink it, but the imbalance made work of it.

2005 Ambullneo "Big Paw" Chardonnay, Santa Maria, California
Steely and flinty with a distinct Chablis character that includes white, yellow and green fruit that's concentrated in body but sexily subdued, not over-endowed or tropical. Can't taste any oak. A still-young wine with cool-climate acidity that smoothes out over a few hours and promises some mid-term aging potential. Great with food and I haven't been so excited about a chardonnay in ages--I've certainly never had a Cal chard that drinks like fine Chablis. Originally $48 at the winery--AND YOU CAN TASTE EVERY PENNY--but currently available from K & L for just $19.98. I just ordered a case each of this and it's brother, the Fang Blanc.

1995 Grand Mayne, Bordeaux
Hazy memory from last Saturday night--disappointing compared to a fine showing about four years ago, smells great but it's completely dropped it's fruit.

1988 Clos Marquis, Paulliac, Bordeaux

Basically, same report as above. This one's GONE.

2003 Cougar Crest Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington State

Nigel and Alejandro, this is not a Michel Rolland wine and would never be mistaken for one. :) Medium bodied, and has the sweetness of new world black cherry fruit but the acidity and restrained oak of a European wine. Remarkable enough for a Washington cab, but an even more remarkable feat in a hot year like 2003.

2002 Siduri Willamette, Oregon
Lost in the cellar, this wine was never meant to be drunk five years out and that was not a miscalculation. It's dead, Jim.