The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Aubert, Jones Family, Merus & Schoffit

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: Aubert, Jones Family, Merus & Schoffit

by Jason Hagen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:54 pm

CHRISTMAS DINNER - 2007 - (12/25/2007)

• 2004 Aubert Chardonnay Ritchie Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    This is a cloudy one. No bother to me. Lots of fruit showing with the aromatics. Very tropical and fruity. The palate follows with more of the same. It still needs time but it has softened slightly. Very full bodied and rich but at the same time has tons of sweet tropical fruits. Certainly could use a little more acid for my tastes but it is impressive although more of a cocktail. I am curious to try this in another 4 or 5 years.
  • 2005 Aubert Chardonnay Quarry Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County
    A big and pleasant contrast to The Ritchie. As always, The Quarry has that stoney quality. On this night I certainly found this more interesting and it is the most I have enjoyed an 05. Still I would not touch another bottle a few years. The texture is more oily but the body is lighter. Still not delicate but I like this wine shows lots of minerals but still has nicely balanced fruit. Hopefully with time some of the oak will subside.

• 2001 Jones Family Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley
    We were having this next to the Merus and there was a big contrast. The boldness of the Merus made this seem more subdued. On the nose there were dark fruits and earth. There was a woodiness that I am not sure if was from the oak. The wine seemed a little shut down on the palate. With food the tannins were masked but the fruit seemed held back. Still very nice but I would hold off on this and hope the oak goes into the background. I did like the way the acidity cut through. I am hopeful.
  • 2001 Merus Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley
    In contrast to the Jones Family ... this monster made itself known. Not sure that is always a good thing ... but I did enjoy this at our ruckus Christmas dinner. Lots of sweet oak and dark fruits on the nose. Pretty much the same on the palate. Somewhat soft. Shows lots a vanilla oak but does not come off too sweet. Blueberries and boysenberries on the palate. This certainly has its place for me ... just not every night.

• 2001 Schoffit Tokay Pinot Gris Rangen de Thann Clos St.-Théobald Sélection de Grains Nobles Larme de Lave - France, Alsace, Thann, Alsace Grand Cru AOC
    To finish the night off, we had this with dessert. To young and primary for me. The is a party of apricots. If you don't like apricots ... don't drink this wine. I enjoyed this but right not it is somewhat simple. Wait 10-12-20 years.

Cheers,

Jason