The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN German "Pinot Grigio"!!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN German "Pinot Grigio"!!!!

by Jenise » Thu May 25, 2006 3:19 pm

2004 Klostor Pinot Grigio
Nahe, Germany

Couldn't resist the idea of a German-made pinot grigio. Didn't know if the grape name choice deliberately implied an Italian style or was just a way of insulting the French by not using pinot gris (isn't there a German name for that grape?), but whatever: I bit. Nose of Eureka lemon juice and chalky limestone. In the mouth, the same plus a mix of apple and lemon fruit, cucumber and parsley. Would presume from the look and taste that this wine sees no wood. Crisp and precise; very good.
Last edited by Jenise on Thu May 25, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN German "Pinot Grigio"!!!!

by Howie Hart » Thu May 25, 2006 3:33 pm

I posted the following TN in '04 for 1994 Kapellenhof Rulander Sorgenlocher Moosberg Trockenbeerenauslese:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... 78026.html
Since I didn't (and still don't) really understand German labels or language, I assumed it was made from Riesling. However, in the subsequent thread, someone (David Buecker? John Trombley?) pointed out to me that Rulander is the German name for Pinot Gris. I wonder why they used the term Pinot Grigio. Probably name recognition.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Thu May 25, 2006 4:04 pm

It would be nice to taste a good Pinot Grigio again, no matter where it came from. Certainly the ones I've had from Italy aren't as good as I remember from years back. Thanks for the tip.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 25, 2006 4:08 pm

Pinot Gris/Grigio in Germany is "Grauburgunder." "Rulander" is also used, though rarely.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu May 25, 2006 5:09 pm

Funny, David, I've seen "Rulander" far more frequently than "Grauburgunder." But then, again, I'm from Berkeley... :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 25, 2006 6:33 pm

Rulander used to be more common. It was used quite a bit in Austria as well. These days its Grauburgunder or one of the Pinot variations.

Hey, just ask Helmut Donnhoff: Grauburgunder. :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu May 25, 2006 6:54 pm

It would be nice to taste a good Pinot Grigio again, no matter where it came from.

Try the '04 Adam Pinot Gris Reserve from Alsace. It's delicious. Never would have guessed it was a Pinot Gris. About $15.

Edited May 26: Er..., well yes, Alsace is in France not Germany. But there are many people of German ancestry in Alsace, the villages nearly all have German names, and depending on when in history you are talking about there were long periods during which Alsace was part of Germany. Still, modern-day Alsace is in France. And the Tokay Pinot Gris can be fabulous.