The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: My Christmas wines and meals...my first 1er Burgundy.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

WTN: My Christmas wines and meals...my first 1er Burgundy.

by Maria Samms » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:04 am

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to post my tasting notes from Christmas Day. I am going to be very detailed, LOL, for my own records. I tried to be as accurate as possible, but please feel free to correct any incorrect information.

Brunch
Laurent-Perrier Rosé Cuvée – Importer: Laurent-Perrier
Variety: 100% Pinot Noir, ABV – 12%

This bubbly was salmon-pink in colour. There were lots of fresh strawberries and raspberries on the nose. On the palate there were also loads of strawberries and raspberries as well as ginger. The finish was nice and long with some astringency. Very nice.

This was paired with a fresh berry fruit salad of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries.

Also served were bagels with cream cheese and Scotch smoked salmon.

Christmas Dinner

Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut – Importer: Freixenet USA, CA
Varieties: 35 % Macabeo, 25 % Xarello, 40% Parellada, ABV – 11.5%

This Cava had a light straw colour, lots of bubbles, with a nice crisp lemony nose. There were flavours of green apple and lime rind, and it had a dry, crisp finish.

This sparkling wine was paired with a creamy lobster bisque spiked with Armagnac and topped with prawn.

1993 Robert Ampeau & Fils Volnay-Santenots 1er – Cotê de Beaune – Importer: Petit Pois Corp.
Variety: 100% Pinot Noir, ABV – 13 %

This was my first experience with an aged 1er cru Burgundy, and it was truly an experience to remember. I opened this bottle in the morning to let it breath and instantly, the aroma hit me. It was intensely aromatic.

The colour was a beautiful clear brick red. This wine was one of the most aromatic wines I have ever come across. There were dried cherries, cinnamon, vanilla, and raisins. On the palate, lots of cherries, cranberries, and spices like nutmeg and clove. I felt like I was drinking rhubarb or cherry pie. It had a long tart finish. I didn’t get many earthy flavours that are usually associated with Pinot Noir, but lots fruit and spice. This wine truly smelled and tasted like Christmas.

1990 Saint-Julien Château Peymartin – (No importer, was given to us by a friend several years ago) Varieties: 65 % Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 5 % Petit Verdot, ABV – 12.5%

This was also a first for me. This was my first left bank Bordeaux and the oldest Bordeaux I have ever had. From my research, this Saint-Julien is a 2nd wine from Château Gloria. I also opened this bottle in the morning. Although this wine seemed to have a nice aroma, the cork was very dry and crumbly. I decanted this wine because there was quite a bit of sediment.

This Bordeaux had a deep ruby red colour. There was quite a bit of sediment still in the wine, even after decanting through a mesh sieve and allowing to sit all day. This Bordeaux had a very nice nose of pipe tobacco, cigar, and raspberry. There were flavours of raspberries, prunes, and spicy black pepper finish. Although this wine has a good nose and soft mellow tannins, I do feel like it was a bit thin. I am not sure if it might have been somewhat faulty because of storage issues. Still a nice wine.

These 2 wines were paired with Prime Rib served with a mushroom/Madeira/cream sauce, mashed potatoes, herbed corn, Brussels sprout hash with bacon, and Yorkshire pudding. The Burgundy was an absolutely perfect match.

Dessert

W&J Graham’s “Six Grapes” Reserve Porto – Importer: Premium Port Wines, Inc. CA
Varieties: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Cão , ABV – 19.5%

This Port was deep purple in colour. On the nose, the fruits were a bit fresher than I expected (I don’t have a lot of experience with Port). There were fresh blueberries, plums, and figs. The palate was a different story. There were dried figs, prunes and raisins, and the Port had a sticky sweet finish.

Our dessert was assorted cheeses (Stilton, Aged Gouda, Brie, Havarti, and sharp cheddar) with balsamic glazed figs and fresh grapes. We also had a traditional English Chocolate pudding.

All-in-all the best Christmas dinner I have ever had.

Edited to add: The Burgundy producer.
Last edited by Maria Samms on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: WTN: My Christmas wines and meals...my first 1er Burgundy.

by Shaji M » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:25 am

Very nice tasting notes. Thank you.
Last edited by Shaji M on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:27 am

Sounds like a delicious meal, nice notes!

The Laurent-Perrier ranks with Billecart-Salmon as my fave NV rose.

Did you note the producer on the Volnay-Santenots? 1993 is a great year imho, though many are still young - like yours. You might know this, but Santenots is actually in Meursault, but as that is known for whites they are allowed to use Volnay on label (if white, wines from same vineyard are sold as Meursault Santenots).

The St. Julien sounds nice. I don't know its storage issues, I just think 17 is pushing it for a second wine - the Gloria has been mature for 6 or 8 years. I think it sounds like it did a good job lasting this long.

Really nice notes, Happy New Year!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:52 am

Dale - The producer of the Burgundy was Robert Ampeau & Fils. Thanks for asking...still not terribly familiar with Burgundy and what information is important. I did not know that Santenots is in Meursault. That is very interesting! I love to learn as much as possible about a good wine I've tasted. Thanks!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:53 pm

"my first 1er Burgundy"

My condolences to your wallet. :D

Really nice notes Maria. I'm a fan of Santenots, so I'm jealous of your opportunity.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Maria,
Ampeau is excellent producer, does late releases. I had this when first released year or two ago, liked but didn't love. Couple people felt bottle showed travel shock. I think your note has convinced me they were right, I think I will bite. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:47 pm

Dale - I bought the Burgundy last year from my wine shop. The owner helped me pick it out for last yrs Christmas dinner, but we didn't get around to opening it then, so I stored it until this yr. When I bought the bottle last yr, the owner informed me that someone bought a case and 9 of the bottles were fantastic, but 3 were not so good. He did feel that there could be some possible faults and if I had any issue with my bottle, that he would refund me. Luckily, it was delicious!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:29 pm

Maria Samms wrote: When I bought the bottle last yr, the owner informed me that someone bought a case and 9 of the bottles were fantastic, but 3 were not so good. He did feel that there could be some possible faults...

Sounds like Burgundy to me. It's a bit of a crapshoot, but I keep playing all the same.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:55 pm

I also opened this bottle in the morning. Although this wine seemed to have a nice aroma, the cork was very dry and crumbly. I decanted this wine because there was quite a bit of sediment.

Maria, something to consider next time you have the opportunity to serve an aged Bordeaux like this: a mesh sieve is only minimal help, it catches, as you found, only the big bits. The best method for separating from sediment begins with standing the bottle up at least a day or even better several days beforehand so that all the sediment sinks to the bottom. Then uncork it, careful not to disturb the settled sediment, and tilt to pour off the top wine to a decanter in one steady stream. If you do this in front of a light you can usually see where the sediment starts to come through in the last 1/2 inch to an inch of wine--as soon as you see that, stop pouring. You can then rinse out the bottle and return the wine to the bottle and recork until mealtime. In a wine as old as a 1990, in most cases the aeration achieved by pouring back and forth has done all the breathing the wine will need. And if the wine is weak, you can actually give it too much time. Better that it take the journey in your glass than for you to miss the ride.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Jenise,

How do you get the rinsed bottle really dry? I've always got too much H2O left in there, even if I stand it upside down for an hour.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:How do you get the rinsed bottle really dry? I've always got too much H2O left in there, even if I stand it upside down for an hour.

David, I double decant every time I am going to travel with a bottle that is likely to have sediment, plus sometimes before hosting a tasting. I rinse, shake bottle, and stand upside down in a decanter stand for a few minutes. Is it dry? No. Probably equivalent of 3-4 drops. Assuming 5 drops, and that I lose 50 ml of wine during decanting, I've diluted wine by about 1/4 ml to 700 ml., or roughly .03 % I'll happily conduct blind tests if anyone thinks they can taste that. Probably far less dilution than one gets at any tasting where they use limited number of stems.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Thanks Dale.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:40 pm

David, what Dale said. I shake everything out that I can, set it upside down to drain, then give it another shake. I have never worried about my wine being diluted by a drop or two of water. Should I have been?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:10 pm

Jenise wrote:David, what Dale said. I shake everything out that I can, set it upside down to drain, then give it another shake. I have never worried about my wine being diluted by a drop or two of water. Should I have been?

Probably not, but I was "slapped around" by a respected expert that I trust one time for having water droplets in a decanter, so I've become hyper-sensitive to it.

If you and Dale haven't seen any negatives then I'm over it!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:53 pm

David,
with these miniscule quantities I can't imagine see any effect, unless your water is so chlorinated it's unpalatable or something. Otherwse we're in homeopathy land.

Next time the expert complains, I volunteer to host him for a blind tasting experiment. I think I have at least 7 decanters, carafes, or pitchers. We'll take 6 wines. Pour half Wine #1 a dry decanter. Pour a glass. Rinse and shake out a different decanter (I won't drain more than a few seconds). Pour other half of Wine #1 into damp decanter, then pour a glass. Empty damp decanter, rinse, and repeat previous steps with a new dry container and the damp one. If dilution from a few droplets is detectable, he/she should be able to taste 6 paired glasses and tell us which is diluted in each case. If not, we'll slap him/her around. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:45 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Probably not, but I was "slapped around" by a respected expert that I trust one time for having water droplets in a decanter, so I've become hyper-sensitive to it.

I once had someone here who gasped in dismay at me using a recently rinsed decanter for a new wine--someone mentor in her past had been a slapper too :). I told her that anyone like herself who couldn't even tell a corked wine from a merely off bottle wasn't going to notice a few drops of water. That took care of it.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:10 am

Jenise wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Probably not, but I was "slapped around" by a respected expert that I trust one time for having water droplets in a decanter, so I've become hyper-sensitive to it.

I once had someone here who gasped in dismay at me using a recently rinsed decanter for a new wine--someone mentor in her past had been a slapper too :). I told her that anyone like herself who couldn't even tell a corked wine from a merely off bottle wasn't going to notice a few drops of water. That took care of it.

I'm far more worried about the little dust that accumulates on even well used (or REALLY-well used at my house) decanters or glassware. I rinse before every use. Then again, I'm not one to steam my friggin' Riedel for a thursday night glass of wine...[/i]
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:40 am

Jenise wrote:
I also opened this bottle in the morning. Although this wine seemed to have a nice aroma, the cork was very dry and crumbly. I decanted this wine because there was quite a bit of sediment.

Maria, something to consider next time you have the opportunity to serve an aged Bordeaux like this: a mesh sieve is only minimal help, it catches, as you found, only the big bits. The best method for separating from sediment begins with standing the bottle up at least a day or even better several days beforehand so that all the sediment sinks to the bottom. Then uncork it, careful not to disturb the settled sediment, and tilt to pour off the top wine to a decanter in one steady stream. If you do this in front of a light you can usually see where the sediment starts to come through in the last 1/2 inch to an inch of wine--as soon as you see that, stop pouring. You can then rinse out the bottle and return the wine to the bottle and recork until mealtime. In a wine as old as a 1990, in most cases the aeration achieved by pouring back and forth has done all the breathing the wine will need. And if the wine is weak, you can actually give it too much time. Better that it take the journey in your glass than for you to miss the ride.

Thanks Jenise for all the info...I hope I get another opportunity to serve some nicer wines in the near future. I am kicking myself, though, for not coming on here BEFORE I opened my wines, to find out when and how I should have done it. I will not make that mistake again. Thanks for the advice...I will certainly use it next time!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Then again, I'm not one to steam my friggin' Riedel for a thursday night glass of wine...

So you're obviously not a dedicated wine lover then :)
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:56 pm

The water in my area sometimes smells, so although I agree with Dale about the degree of dilution I rinse out with wine, usually whatever white I have handy. (City water sometimes smells corked, I once read that one of the non-TCA corky chemicals (geosmin?) sometimes shows up in municipal water systems.)
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:04 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Next time the expert complains, I volunteer to host him for a blind tasting experiment. I think I have at least 7 decanters, carafes, or pitchers. We'll take 6 wines. Pour half Wine #1 a dry decanter. Pour a glass. Rinse and shake out a different decanter (I won't drain more than a few seconds). Pour other half of Wine #1 into damp decanter, then pour a glass. Empty damp decanter, rinse, and repeat previous steps with a new dry container and the damp one. If dilution from a few droplets is detectable, he/she should be able to taste 6 paired glasses and tell us which is diluted in each case. If not, we'll slap him/her around. :)

GOOD ONE, DALE!!!

If the so-called wine expert can tell the difference, I'd consent to being slapped around.

Otherwise he gets keel hauled.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Maria,

Six Gropes (er . . . Grapes) is one of my favorite "young vintage style" Ports. It's a non-vintage blend of young Ports that haven't seen much wood, and the style does very much resemble what vintage Port tastes like when young--minus the abrasive and abusive tannins.

It's a lovely wine.

-Paul W.