The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NWR: Help! Non-wine in Sonoma?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

NWR: Help! Non-wine in Sonoma?

by wnissen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Hidie-ho, anyone have ideas for non-wine things to do in the greater Sonoma area?

I'm looking for things like the di Rosa Preserve, which has both outdoors and beautiful art, with no wine-tasting. That's technically just on the border, but it's close enough.

Are there concerts or shows, things like that?

Thanks much in advance.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: NWR: Help! Non-wine in Sonoma?

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:21 pm

wnissen wrote:Hidie-ho, anyone have ideas for non-wine things to do in the greater Sonoma area? Walt

Jack London State Park is pretty cool: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=478
or maybe
Safari West: http://www.safariwest.com/
or maybe
A ride up the coast to Sonoma Coast State Beach and Arch Rock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoma_Coast_State_Beach.

It depends on how far you want to drive and what tickles your fancy. Perhaps a leisurely coastal drive to Jenner for lunch with a stop in Duncan Mills for a little shopping and then dinner in Sonoma. Hoke probably has a few ideas, too.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:12 am

former home to the voice of the Taco Bell chihuahua

You neglected to mention Deputy Garcia.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:53 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
former home to the voice of the Taco Bell chihuahua

You neglected to mention Deputy Garcia.

Trivia overload can lead to acute bleferitis of the lower niautoputapu.
And now what?
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:07 pm

There's a safari in Sonoma! OK, that's almost unbelievable, I'll keep that in mind.

State Parks are another great place to go, thanks. I'll add that the birding in Santa Rosa is excellent, even right off 101.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:27 am

Off 101 on Mendocino Ave exit, north end of Santa Rosa. Go up Fountaingrove, turn left at the (small) winery sign towards Paradise Ridge winery. Thomas Lake Harris Drive. Short drive through McMansions and just before the winery you'll come to an amazing little open-air sculpture garden. Displays change every few months, but they've often been compelling, and now there are enough permanent pieces from past exhibits that the place is always interesting to go to. Good views too.

And it's free.

Of course the most fulfilling recreation in Sonoma is going down to the Square and watching the tourists. We love it when they flitter their money around, then leave.

On the Square you can also rent a Segway for an hour and zoom around terrifying people. Free cheese samples at the cheese store, if you like processed cheese.

Hike through Jack London State Park.

If you go at night, and if it's open, there's a state park in Valley of the Moon, up beyond Landmark, or right around there, where they have a small observatory and you can look at galaxies and cool stuff.

Bocce courts. Few things more enjoyable than playing bocce with a bunch of old guys while you're getting slowly and gently plastered...oh, wait, you said no wine, I forgot.

And a cool thing we like to do is go down Hwy 121, past Gloria Ferrer, but not down to Cline/Jacuzzi, and check out the enclave of art/architecture and other shops. Relatively new. Neat place. Really neat. Worth spending an hour or two. Espresso shop there too to help you do that. Best dead shocking blue tree in Sonoma. Too late now, but during the holidays, everyone watches the slow, inexorable march of the Christmas Snowmen taking over the county.
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:37 pm

Hoke wrote:Off 101 on Mendocino Ave exit, north end of Santa Rosa. Go up Fountaingrove, turn left at the (small) winery sign towards Paradise Ridge winery. Thomas Lake Harris Drive. Short drive through McMansions and just before the winery you'll come to an amazing little open-air sculpture garden. Displays change every few months, but they've often been compelling, and now there are enough permanent pieces from past exhibits that the place is always interesting to go to. Good views too.

And it's free.

I agree with Hoke, this is a really neat little excursion. Leslie and I make time for it on each of our trips. We especially like the little poetry house. We take time to sweep it out before we leave (per the instructions.) :D
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:24 pm

Walt, it's just great that you're going to do all these neat things in SONOMA!!! Talk it up, help us unclog our crowded highways here in Napa by sending more people to that fair valley to our west. Great wineries, great people (think all like our charming Hoke) scenery and things to do galore, plus fine restaurants that are all inexpensive. :D :D
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Well, Lou, January is one of the few times of year I would consider braving the Napa traffic, which can best be compared to the final shot in "Field of Dreams," where the cars stretch for miles along single lane roads. Corn instead of grapes, but otherwise dead on. If you pour it, they will come. In contrast, I figure Sonoma must be nearly deserted by now.

Hoke and Jeff, thanks for the insider's tips. Anyone can tell me that there's a Charles Schulz museum in Santa Rosa, but I'd never find a place with a poetry house on my own. Thank you!

Walt
Walter Nissen