The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Umbrian Sangio, Diamond Mopuntain Cab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Umbrian Sangio, Diamond Mopuntain Cab

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:58 am

Met friends for dinner and wine last night in Davis at my favorite tiny bistro, Tuco's. Had their deliciously rich French Onion Soup, a great bread salad, and sardines. :?

Before the dinner: Caprai Sangiovese 2005 (Umbria) wine by the glass at Pasta? Restaurant while we were waiting for our table to open up (Tuco's is minute in size). At first, I thought this was an odd combination of "New World" candied cherry and the leathery/savory side of Chianti. It did smooth out over the half hour in the glass. Given the large number of good chiantis out there, not sure I would buy again. 13/20

Before dinner, I tried a white flight-at Tuco's=made no real notes though. My flight's highlights, I remember, were an Italian white blend from Puglia by A Mano that I thought had good fruit and minerality and a quite aromatic, rich, fruity, and tropical South African Chenin Blanc from Simonsig. I could see ordering both of these whites again.

My dinenr contribution was a small production cabernet from Diamond Mountain near Calistoga. Teachworth Rattlesnake Ridge 2001 Diamond Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon. Decanted about an hour before drinking. This is the kind of Napa Cab I like-very much black fruit side of the spectrum-blackberry and cassis. This was no fruit bomb, though, in that there was a very nice leather and licorice character to this wine I felt was appealing. Good acidity, also, and 14.2% abv is considered "reasonable" alcohol these days (no obvious heat). I probably drunk this too young, my host at Tuco's, Pru, thought the finish and the front of the palate was not yet fully integrated. 16.5/20+

Well under 1,000 cases made, so the wine is gone. But, we did enjoy it. We also enjoyed from the tasting bar Le Pigeon Cotes du Rhone, and an excellent Barbera A very enjoyable evening!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: Umbrian Sangio, Diamond Mopuntain Cab

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Brian K Miller wrote: My flight's highlights, I remember, were an Italian white blend from Puglia by A Mano that I thought had good fruit and minerality. . .

Brian--
Friday night at a charity tasting I sampled an A Mano bianco too--a blend of Fiano and Greco di Tufo that I thought pretty darn good for the $12 they were asking. I know A Mano is associated with Puglia, but I'm thinking these grapes may have been sourced from Campania. Or is A Mano growing them on the heel now?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:35 pm

That's the wine! I thought I read Puglia....but???
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:That's the wine! I thought I read Puglia....but???

Apparently so, per an Empson website fact sheet:

http://www.empson.com/loader.php?20070403072942_newspdf1_amano_bianco_news.pdf
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !