The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New lower alcohol wines - at least to the UK

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am

Manchester UK

New lower alcohol wines - at least to the UK

by Dave C » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:00 am

I spotted new lower alcohol wines - at least new to the UK - on sale this weekend.

These were called 'Early Harvest' by Lindemans are 9%

Since the news mainly seems to be about wine's getting stronger these days - over 14% - I wonder if this will become a new trend.

Cheers, Dave C.
I'm daveac - host of The 'Big and Fruity' Wine Podcast on Talkshoe ID 112272 every Tuesday at 5PM EDT
My vblog is on blip.tv & I'm co-host of The Cultdom Collective Podcast Talkshoe ID 54821 Sun 2PM EDT
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: New lower alcohol wines - at least to the UK

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:34 am

Lite wine, just like lite beer????

A couple of days ago I enjoyed a wine from France and did a double take when I saw the 12 per cent alcohol on the label. Just like the "old" days. :D
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:08 am

bruce - two points
1. wines with the word light in the name were highly promoted in the mid 80's in the US. they were around for awhile and then faded. so this lindemans thing is either a case of an idea whose time has finally come or a case of 'those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it'
2. what are your laws in ontario? if a label in the US says 12% - it can legally be anywhere from 10.5% to 13.5%. we allow a 1.5% leeway either way as long as it isn't over 14%. i assume you guys are stricter.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:13 am

I fear that 9% is too low to have been arrived at "honestly", particularly when starting from South Australian 14%.

By "honestly" I mean work in the vineyards to reduce yields and make the roots go lower so as to achieve phenolic ripeness at lower sugar levels rather than trickery in the wine-making. Some excellent 12% wines are being made in Roussillon, where 14%+ is the norm, by these natural techniques.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:48 am

David Creighton wrote:what are your laws in ontario? if a label in the US says 12% - it can legally be anywhere from 10.5% to 13.5%. we allow a 1.5% leeway either way as long as it isn't over 14%. i assume you guys are stricter.

I have no idea what the case is here David. I had always assumed that 12 per cent on the label meant just that.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with the answer.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:04 am

Within the EU alcohol content on the label has to be stated in whole of half percents, with a tolerance of ±0.5%. So a wine that states "9%" legally can contain anything between 8.5 and 9.5% abv.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam