The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Concord Grapes for purchase

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

DLuckenbau

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Concord Grapes for purchase

by DLuckenbau » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:43 pm

I have an unusual request. I am looking for about 1-2 quarts of Concord grapes for a recipe. They are out of season on the East Coast (NY/NJ) and I am having trouble finding any place online that sells them. Any help would be appreciated!!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Concord Grapes for purchase

by Paul B. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:23 pm

Welcome to the forum! I may not have the perfect answer for you, but given your title post, I couldn't help at least trying to offer some suggestions.

Concord is one of my favourite grape varieties - I make a dry, crisp wine out of it most years. You are right that they are totally out of season in Eastern North America at this time, and unfortunately, Concords don't keep well, so I doubt you could get any in satisfactory shape even if by some stretch they could be sourced.

I'm not sure what exactly your recipe calls for, or what the recipe is ... but is it possible that you could substitute some Welch's concentrate for the fresh fruit? It might mean you'd have to manipulate the concentrate in some way, but at least you would get fairly authentic flavours from it. That's about the best advice I can offer at this point.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Concord Grapes for purchase

by Bob Ross » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:46 pm

DLuckenbau wrote:I have an unusual request. I am looking for about 1-2 quarts of Concord grapes for a recipe. They are out of season on the East Coast (NY/NJ) and I am having trouble finding any place online that sells them. Any help would be appreciated!!

If you can wait until March and April, you can get fresh Concord grapes from Chile through this site: http://www.theproducehunter.com/product ... sp?ID=2206