The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cap Irrigator ---> Lower Alcohols???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Cap Irrigator ---> Lower Alcohols???

by TomHill » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:32 pm

I've recently learned of a winemaker who uses a "cap irrigator" during her fermentations. It's a tube that runs up the side of the vat and then squirts the juice down onto a fan below, causing it to rotate and fling the juice all over the cap just below. At the higher temperatures during fermentation, it supposedly enhances the evaporation of the alcohol and reduces the conversion efficiency from sugar to alcohol.
1. Have any of the winemakers here used the device and do you see a lowered conversion efficiency? Is there any problem w/ increased oxygen absorption during fermentation?
2. More profoundly importantly, is this just one more tool in the bag of tricks to practice cynical/manipulative/unethical winemaking, by the same folks who foist off on us innocent/unsuspecting wine consumers ReverseOsmosis and SpinningCones and genetically-manipulated yeasts and filters and gawd knows what else and, therefore, should be soundly condemmed by those of us who believe in pure/natural/non-manipulative winemaking practices??
Just sorta curious.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: Cap Irrigator ---> Lower Alcohols???

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Is this a trick question?
I don't think there's much to worry about as far as too much oxygen pickup; hard to do during the primary ferment.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:20 pm

The principle sounds like it would work. But I hope they don’t plan to do this with an open top fermenter, sounds like it can get quite messy.

Salute
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:31 am

Sounds like a high-tech alternative to traditional "punching-down" of the cap, and a sort of variant of "delestage" (rack and return) or pumping over; if anything, I'd say this cap irrigator mechanism would increase the efficiency of sugar to alcohol conversion by cooling the must and dispersing the yeast better (a cooler fermentation usu. results in more efficient conversion of sugar to alcohol). My guess is that any reduction of alcohol by evaporation would be minimal, and outweighed by the benefit this practice would have on yeast viability during the primary ferment.