The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gonon St Joseph and Darnaud Crozes Hermitage

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: Gonon St Joseph and Darnaud Crozes Hermitage

by Marc D » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:51 pm

We cooked a big pot of black beans this week. With some marinated sirloin, black beans and grilled onion fajitas we drank the 2004 Emmanuel Darnaud Crozes-Hermitage Les Trois Chênes . It worked pretty well with the food. Fairly ripe blackberry fruit with beef blood, just a touch of oak around the edge. The wood spice was subtle and I didn't mind it. Worsted texture in the mouth with good acidity and chunky tannins that finishes with a little bitterness. The second day this was still very tasty, if a little softer. The flavors changed to black olive, herb and some animal. This has a few youthful rough edges, but has the makings of a good wine. 12.8% abv. ~$24. Good Crozes Hermitage with a nod towards Cornas. A little challenging at the moment, maybe try another bottle in another 3-4 years.

With the leftovers we made a black bean soup flavored with smoked bacon and a shot of Worcestershire sauce.
To wash down the soup we opened a bottle of the 2004 Pierre Gonon St Joseph . This is pretty expressive with pure clean red fruit, that with air gets a little smoky. Almost silky texture with soft tannins. High acidity but not too much, just the right amount with the soup. Very good bottle, stylish. The fine smooth texture with the bright acidity reminded me more of young Cote Rotie than St Joseph. Very good right now, although the initial fruit in the nose closed up after an hour of being open. 13% abv. ~$24. This was a great match with the soup. My wife and I both liked the Gonon more than the Darnaud at the moment, but I would buy both of them again.

Marc
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Gonon St Joseph and Darnaud Crozes Hermitage

by Redwinger » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:46 pm

Marc,
Nice notes on the Darnaud...I like his wine as well and the pricing hasn't gone crazy. FWIW, the 2001 is drinking quite well right now, so your 3-4 year guesstimate on the 2004 should be just about right.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Marc D wrote:2004 Pierre Gonon St Joseph

Thanks for notes, I like the Gonon, too. I'm actually thinking of bringing it as my red contribution to a dinner tonight (smoked turkey, someone suggested smoky Rhone).
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Redwinger wrote:Marc,
Nice notes on the Darnaud...I like his wine as well and the pricing hasn't gone crazy. FWIW, the 2001 is drinking quite well right now, so your 3-4 year guesstimate on the 2004 should be just about right.
Bill

Hey Winger, it was your note on the 2001 that prompted me to try this one when I saw it in a local shop, so many thanks. I read someplace that the 2001 was his first vintage.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks for notes, I like the Gonon, too. I'm actually thinking of bringing it as my red contribution to a dinner tonight (smoked turkey, someone suggested smoky Rhone).

I will keep an eye open for your note. The wine seemed to tighten up after an hour or so, with less fruit and more smoke as it aired.

Have you tried the white Gonon St Jo? I have one lined up to taste soon.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:25 pm

No, haven't tried the white.
Enjoyed a glass of the red Sat night (though not with smoked turkey as planned).