- N.V. Edmond Barnaut Champagne Blanc de Noirs Grand Cru - France, Champagne, Bouzy, Champagne (1/19/2008)
This was a fruit-forward type of Champagne, with a floral and figgy nose - elegant and pure. The mousse is correct and small. The palate is perhaps a touch soft, but with much pinosity. A lovely little Champ, and the only thing I miss is a bit of minerality.
- 2006 Crushpad Pinot Noir Töövi - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey County (1/19/2008)
The nose is rather strange: it has bright, even citrussy Pinot aromatics; yet it also has much chocolatey oak. The palate is big, not terribly acidic, but it does stay together. Nice if you can get past the oak.
- 2006 Crushpad Pinot Noir Töövi Hein Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/19/2008)
A very dark toned nose, brooding and masculine. With air it develops some strawberry aromas and a more Pinot-like presence. Very tannic and dark palate, juicy, closed - burly and frankly not very Pinot-like, but I like it!
- 1980 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (1/19/2008)
This is supposedly a weaker vintage of Musar. Erm?! The scent totally rocked: nicely aged, lifted, red toned nose - classic Musar. The palate wasn't as well delineated as it started out plump and fruity, but the acids followed a little late. This is exceptionally tannic for Musar. Though slightly lacking in delineation, this is still a very enjoyable drink.
- 1999 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (1/19/2008)
Young, but just lovely! This has all the classic Musar scents: peach stone, vibrant fruit of perhaps a darker shade than normal for Musar, slight funk. Vibrant, fruity, very full bodied. One of the most promising young Musars I've had.
- 1988 Maison Albert Bichot Chablis Grand Cru Moutonne Domaine Long-Depaquit - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (1/19/2008)
A lovely nose: aged, orange-like, floral with some brazil nut. The palate has good fruit, refreshing acidity, nutty finish. À point. Lovely. This evaporated at a furious rate.
- 2004 Josmeyer Riesling Hengst - France, Alsace, Wintzenheim, Alsace Grand Cru AOC (1/19/2008)
A pure and elegant style of Riesling, but with quite a strong fruit presence in addition the strong minerality - almost like crystallised limes. Dry but fruity, elegant and mineral, wonderful purity. Lovely.
- 2005 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (1/19/2008)
An elegantly earthy nose with strawberries and carrots. It is abundantly fruity, but doesn't perhaps have quite the grip needed for such an amount of fruit. I still like it very much, but thought the '04 in better balance.