The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Sue Courtney & others from NZ, I would appreciate your help

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

Sue Courtney & others from NZ, I would appreciate your help

by Michael K » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:59 am

I have a friend traveling to NZ who is a foodie and wine affectionado. She will be there for one week and her itinerary is completely open right now.

As an local, any suggestions as to locations to go see or place to eat or other online sources of information that might be useful. I know that this is a bit of a wide breadth question but any pointers would be appreciated.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Sue Courtney & others from NZ, I would appreciate your help

by Peter May » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:28 am

One week isn't long to see NZ -- where is your friend arriving and departing from?
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:27 am

That was her first statement to me too :)

She is coming in from Hong Kong and will most likely landing around Auckland.
no avatar
User

Mark Hazell

Rank

Just got here

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:31 pm

by Mark Hazell » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:51 pm

There are a couple of very good wineries on Waiheke Island (about 30 minutes by ferry from Auckland) -- otherwise she should head south -- one of my favorite towns is Martinborough, in the Wairarapa valley near Wellington -- they are making some lovely, but not cheap, pinot noir there -- it reminds me of the Sonoma valley back in the 60's, just gorgeous. With a lot of time Central Otago is worth visiting -- splendid Pinot Gris and Reisling, and some very good Pinot Noir as well. And of course the top of the south island -- Marlborough, Nelson, Blenheim -- great Sauvignon Blanc. Also, the Hawkes Bay region on the north island is only a day away from Auckland and there is lots of great wine and food available there. Actually, it's hard to go wrong in NZ -- my wife says that if Northern California and Hawaii got married and had a child it would be NZ, and I think that's a pretty fair description.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Mark,

Many thanks for that. I'll pass that on. They are getting excited about the trip so this should only stoke the flames!

Mike