The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: `05 Coing du Ste Fiacre Muscadet/`99 Warburn Durif.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

WTN: `05 Coing du Ste Fiacre Muscadet/`99 Warburn Durif.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:37 am

Had a very nice get-together with some of the servers at the Grill. These girls seem to be quite keen to continue digging into my cellar!

WTN: `05 Chereau-Gunther Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine Sur Lie Chateau Coing de Ste Fiacre.

Typical nose of minerals, sea-shells and citrus. Seemed to need some time to come around, great with scallops but crab cakes and grilled shrimp did not work. "Tad short but better with food" was one comment. I did not find this bottle matched my `04, looking at previous notes.
Great acidity, really dry, smooth but needed more of that "zest". No spritz, 12% alc, $20 Cdn. Will continue to look for any Musky from this vaste empire of C-Gunther.

WTN: `99 Durif Show Reserve Warburn Estates, Australia.

Much trepidation as I pulled the cork prior to leaving Doris Ranch, but this was a winner!! Needed fair amount of time to come around in the decanter, 14% alc, $33 Cdn. Great with a rack of lamb but think bison or elk might have worked better. Big chunks of sediment noted.

Color was a medium cherry/plum. On the nose we all found smoke, tar, licorice. "There is some plum and cherry here" thought one tatser. Still some oak here and mocha, there is a lot going on here.
On the palate, blackberry, chocolate, cigar box and "wildberries massive". Still has some big tannins but food helps. Everyone thought the nose and palate so different but very well admired by all. Wish I had brought more!

**Question. The label says "Product of Australia" on front label, but back label mentions "came from small parcel of vines....grown in the Riverina". Is there not a Riverina appellation?