The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN's: Champagnes from Larmandier, Lassalle and Egly-Ouriet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

WTN's: Champagnes from Larmandier, Lassalle and Egly-Ouriet

by Michael Malinoski » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:59 pm

Just a few short notes from Champagnes drunk over the past few weeks:

NV Guy Larmandier Champagne Blanc de Blanc Brut Cramant. This takes some time to open up and features a somewhat austere nose of crisp minerals, chalk, sea shells and green apples. It is sharply defined in the mouth, with laser focus to its intense minerality. It slowly fans out to reveal more notes of smoke, apple and citrus peel. If finishes crisp and fresh, but again a touch austere.

NV Lassalle Champagne Brut. The color is a somewhat darker gold. The nose features complex notes of nutmeg, other dark spices, distinct caramel, creme brulee topping, nectarine pit and buttered biscuits. It sports a very creamy texture, yet finely-chiseled acidity. There are some yellow and red (cranberry) fruits in the mouth. It finishes dry but far from austere.

1996 Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru. This is a delightful deep golden yellow color, with fine, densely packed bubbles. On the nose, one is greeted by aromas of caramel, rich butter biscuit, dark ginger, copper kettle and poached spiced apples. This is a really mouthfilling sparkler, sporting full body and a texture alternating between creamy and fascinatingly mealy. It has outstanding length from beginning to end and features a very expansive mid-palate. Flavors of spiced apples and pears and warm pie crust are prominent. The finish is particularly long and finely balanced, with strong ginger notes. Classic Egly-Ouriet style dialed up to 11.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN's: Champagnes from Larmandier, Lassalle and Egly-Ouriet

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:54 am

Thanks as always, Michael. I've been eyeing the '96 EO and now I want to go try it.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN's: Champagnes from Larmandier, Lassalle and Egly-Ouriet

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi Bill,

Nice to hear from you. How's the Super Bowl buzz out your way?

On the '96 Egly-Ouriet, that is a very nice Champagne. I think my wife paid something close to $80 for it at Vintages and I would say it is worth it, but I wouldn't say it is a smokingly good deal. Maybe just take a flyer on 1 bottle to see if you like the style? No harm in that! Let me know what you think.

-Michael