The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Effect of long term refrigerator storage on wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Effect of long term refrigerator storage on wine?

by AlexR » Tue May 30, 2006 5:31 am

I read recently about someone who had a bottle of Champagne whose cork had shrunk and spoiled the wine after long term storage in a refrigerator. Seeing as I keep about a half-dozen bottles chilled at any given time in a refrigerator that is used for virtually nothing else, I was wondering if this was such a wise thing to do...

In your experience, can keeping a wine in a refrigerator for several months have a negative effect?

Furthermore, is the basic principle of a wine storage unit any different than a common refrigerator? Presumably, a standard fridge dries things out, but a cave à vin maintains high humidity...

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

Re: Effect of long term refrigerator storage on wine?

by Isaac » Tue May 30, 2006 12:26 pm

On the other hand, I was once given a bottle of Riesling that had been in a refrigerator for 8-10 years, and it was fine. So I don't think that the problem is inherent in refrigerators.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue May 30, 2006 1:49 pm

Recently, my brother opened a magnum of 1978 German riesling that had been in his refrigerator since release. It was fabulous.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 30, 2006 3:38 pm

Piling on: I once managed to pull a bottle of 90 Trimbach CFE out of the reefer case of a delicatessen--the price was proof that it had been there since release, just buried behind rows of newer stuff stocked in front of it. No cork problems at all and the wine itself was ungodly good.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov