The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

ZIND HUMBRECHT 3 X DRY 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

tomazk

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 am

ZIND HUMBRECHT 3 X DRY 2004

by tomazk » Tue May 30, 2006 6:14 am

I tasted those wines on the vini secondo natura wine festival held in Verona in April. I don't count myself as an Z-H fan, because most of his wines I've tasted so far have not been very drinkable, newer quaffable. I also measure a wines quality in the relationship with the time needed to empty a bottle in a refined group of winelovers. Those 3 bottles would be a challenge!

Riesling „Clos Hauserer“ 2004 A very dry riesling and nearly 14% alc., Light golden colour, strange funky nose, at the first moment a bit unpleasant. Extreme minerality in the mouth, very dry and mouth watering, concentrated, harmonious and full bodied.

Pinot Gris „Rangen de Thann Clos-Saint-Urbain“ 2004 From 24 different bottling from the vintage 2004, mother and father Zind-Humbrect picked three dry wines for the tasting in Vila Matarrana in Verona. This pinot gris has 16% alc and 7,8 g/l residual sugar. Golden brassy colour, typical pinot gris on the nos, smoke, bread crust, caramelized nuts, crushed herbs. Big terroir on the palate, volcanic soil, overripe and humongous, appears drier than it is. Too bad, that the extreme alcohol ruins the wines harmony.

Gewuerztraminer „Goldert“ 2004 Also 16% alcohol, 10,6 g/l residual sugar. An intriguing, complex and typical alsace traminer nose. In the mouth the alcohol in too present, the wine leaves a cloying and schmaltzy aftertaste, as If a spoon of butter was molten in it.

Greetings from Maribor!
Tomaz Klipsteter