The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Recent tastes: Matrot, St. Innocent, etc.

by Jenise » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Just impressions, no notes taken at the time:

2005 Thierry and Pascale Matrot, Meursault, half bottle: Lovely, complex nose didn't transfer to the palate, rather the wine seemed kind of stalled with nothing but minerals to offer, opening only a little with time in the glass. Very dry. Would have shown well with a french onion soup but was dull as an aperitif.

2003 St. Innocent White Rose and Seven Springs pinot noirs: opened a few days apart. Both were good, outperforming that hot vintage with moderate alcohol levels and no jammy flavors. Contrary to expectations, the Seven Springs showed the best of the two with sweeter fruit, while the White Rose had some of the earthy minerality of the 04 without it's elegance. Too, we found the finish kind of aborted itself midway, suggesting it's shutting down, where the Seven Springs is still open.

2001 Guigal Cotes du Rhone: I've written about this wine before. Early on, this wine that in the 90's I bought a case of every year was insufferably dense and hard, dark purple and opaque. Nothing like any Guigal CdR I'd ever encountered. It's finally softened a bit and become drinkable, showing grenache fruit, but the tannins creep up on you in the second glass and I tend to think this unbalanced wine is as good as it's ever going to be. Drink up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Recent tastes: Matrot, St. Innocent, etc.

by Bill Hooper » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:24 am

Jenise wrote:Just impressions, no notes taken at the time:

2005 Thierry and Pascale Matrot, Meursault, half bottle: Lovely, complex nose didn't transfer to the palate, rather the wine seemed kind of stalled with nothing but minerals to offer, opening only a little with time in the glass. Very dry. Would have shown well with a french onion soup but was dull as an aperitif.

That baby needs a couple of years. Although Matrot may make a leaner style than the neighbors (with no batonnage nor new wood), I'm surprised to see much minerality in a village Meursault from that vintage. But if anyone is gonna do it, Matrot is your guy (unless of course you're talking almost anyones Les Tillets) I've had the 2005 Bourgogne Blanc recenty and a Matrot Meursault Rouge '04 over Christmas that I really enjoyed. I'll see if I can dig up a few more bottles (I know theres a Blagny or two around.)
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: Recent tastes: Matrot, St. Innocent, etc.

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks for the notes. I have really enjoyed the 03 St Innocents. The vintage has taken a lot of heat but I thought Mark did an excellent job. I skipped the White Rose ... or maybe drank my lone bottle but I loved the 7 Springs (and the 7S Special Selection) so much so that I called it a potential classic. It may not live as long as some but it brings a lot of pleasure.

Jason