The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Tableaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

WTN: 2006 Tableaux

by Shaji M » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 am

If you haven't heard about this, some big corporation spurred by the market success of another big corporation (which made the mass market Red Bicyclette) decided to introduce a similar wine in the market. The result is Tableaux, a red wine which the unsuspecting public encountered at the local Cost Plus, couple of weeks ago. Generally at Cost Plus, I find some decent finds and the occasional good value. So, not knowing the marketing behind this wine, and primarily lured by the orange label depicting sillhouettes of people (young, I presume) having a good time, we bought a bottle for ourselves. I opened the said bottle yesterday evening. The label said it was a 50% Syrah and a 50% Cabernet Sauvignon blend. So far promising. We poured, swirled and sniffed...Well.. nothing. I mean I smelled some wood but that's it. Strange! So, we sipped...and...still nothing..thin stringy wine with faint acidity and ghost of some fruit. It wasn't bad...It wasn't good...It had no personality whatsoever...Maybe it could be served at some large gathering where nobody is paying attention to the wine. Maybe the orange, young, trendy folks would not notice it..