The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Burg & a CdP

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

WTN: A Burg & a CdP

by Gregg G » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:22 pm

1997 Domaine Jean Garaudet Pommard Les Noizons - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard (1/29/2008)
Signs of bricking at the rim. Subdued aromas of forest floor, earth and cherry. The flavors are similar. Fully mature. The wine lacks some depth, but this can be expected from a '97 lieu dit. The finish is not full and is clipped by acidity. Still a decent bottle of burg, purchased a few years ago on closeout for under $20.

2001 Patrick Lesec Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rubis - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/29/2008)
This wine is a lot better since I last tried it about 2 yrs ago. This is not a bruser of a wine. In fact, it is very Burgundian like to me in structure and style. Nice aromas of raspberry, olives and spice. The flavors are nicely integrated yet vibrant, with some kirsch, raspberry, leather and nice dollup of garrigue. A lovely silky texture is framed by a solid foundation of acidity and tannin. The tannins are soft and not intrusive at all. Pretty nice length on the finish with good mid palate intensity. This wine is starting to reach a nice drinking plateau that I presume will last for several years. There is some wiggle room for further developement and complexity. Another great Premier Cru closeout for well under $25.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A Burg & a CdP

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks for the notes Gregg. Lessec makes some nice, reliable CNdP.

I'm going to be in CA soon, but only Long Beach & Pomona area.
Democracy dies in the darkness
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:35 pm

Email me re: LB. If I can, I might be able to make the journey down there. I know a few souls we could muster.
Regards,
Gregg
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks for the notes Gregg. I like closeouts.

Gregg G wrote:Email me re: LB. If I can, I might be able to make the journey down there. I know a few souls we could muster.

Count me in.

J