The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

No ZAP Report???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

No ZAP Report???

by TomHill » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Not seen a thing out in CyberSpace (least in the darker corners where I hang out) about last weekend's ZAP Event. Don't tell me that Zin has become passe??
Tom
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: No ZAP Report???

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:21 pm

TomHill wrote:Not seen a thing out in CyberSpace (least in the darker corners where I hang out) about last weekend's ZAP Event. Don't tell me that Zin has become passe?? Tom

I used to be an annual volunteer sherpa for the organization but have gotten sidetracked of late. It was, however, the only way for me to attend the trade tasting because the public tasting is a zoo and a half. Even the trade tasting is crowded as all get-out and makes the whole thing more an ordeal than fun and/or edifying. ZAP needs to do a lot of stuff like extend the public hours and lower the entry fee. And it's too easy to get royally snockered at this event even if that is not your intention. I'd like to be able to stretch out my visit, take a breather between tastings, and maybe even get to talk to a winemaker or two. In the recent past, that has been very difficult.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Is this the one at Fort Mason last Saturday? A friend of mine in the wine publishing business attended the trade tasting and sent me some comments. I could ask if she minds bopping over and posting them, if it's the same event.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Is this the one at Fort Mason last Saturday? A friend of mine in the wine publishing business attended the trade tasting and sent me some comments. I could ask if she minds bopping over and posting them, if it's the same event.

That would be the one.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 pm

I haven't gone to Zap, this makes the third year because of the crowds. I go to the trade part of the tasting and that has become a zoo also. I noticed many people in attendance who if they are in the trade I'm the king of England. I complained to the powers who be by email and was totally ignored. Many retailers I know don't bother anymore also. It's a missed opportunity by the new producers to make contacts with retailers. :(
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:29 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:I haven't gone to Zap, this makes the third year because of the crowds. I go to the trade part of the tasting and that has become a zoo also. I noticed many people in attendance who if they are in the trade I'm the king of England. I complained to the powers who be by email and was totally ignored. Many retailers I know don't bother anymore also. It's a missed opportunity by the new producers to make contacts with retailers. :(

Old grouch! what are you after, my curmudgeon title? :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:I haven't gone to Zap, this makes the third year because of the crowds. I go to the trade part of the tasting and that has become a zoo also. I noticed many people in attendance who if they are in the trade I'm the king of England. I complained to the powers who be by email and was totally ignored. Many retailers I know don't bother anymore also. It's a missed opportunity by the new producers to make contacts with retailers. :(

Your title is secure, from what I hear. :roll:
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:44 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:

Naw, Bob, you have to go once to truly feel Lou here. I used to work this show and Lou's description of the event is spot on. It's a great concept gone ballistic. Anyway, a true curdmudgeon would have suggested that he was drinking a cab out of a ZAP logo glass while writing his objections.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:37 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:

Naw, Bob, you have to go once to truly feel Lou here. I used to work this show and Lou's description of the event is spot on. It's a great concept gone ballistic. Anyway, a true curdmudgeon would have suggested that he was drinking a cab out of a ZAP logo glass while writing his objections.

Frankly, the only event I've done the last couple of times I've been there was the Food and Wine event at Rosenblum's place in Alameda. I have no idea if it even still exists as part of ZAP, but it was a nice, low-key event that retained a lot of the feel of the early years. And most of the big boys would be in attendance, so I still got to try the wines of most of the producers I knew and cared about.

Mark Lipton