The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bubbles and Sushi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: Bubbles and Sushi

by John Tomasso » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 am

Buddy Ann Twigg put out the call - meet tonight to open some bubbles at the local sushi place. What? Me argue?

Sorelle Bronca Prosecco - noticeably sweet on entry - soft, round, might be fun to drink in a different context, but we've got work to do . Move on

Lucien Albrect - Cremant d'Alsace - yum - this wine is crisp and minerally and pairs nicely with the starter of seaweed salad and potato wrapped prawn. Simple, but tasty.

97 Iron Horse Blanc de Blancs - Green Valley, Sonoma - hmmmmmm
funky nose, no, make that bottle stink. It never blows off all the way for me - it is somewhat interesting mushroomy, earthy, some weight on the palate, but clearly, this has seen better days. It doesn't hold up all that well in the glass, either, and we move on.

Henriot -Brut Champagne - nice, clean entry. Not too aggressive, there is an elegance here that announces we've moved up in class - just a whiff of yeast there, an enjoyable bubbly

Carre Guebels Rosé - Champagne - this wine is steely in the mouth and very lively in the glass with a persistent bead. Just good clean flavors in a well made package. It matched well with some hot and spicy dishes that were on the table at the time. Nice wine.

Jean Laurent - Champagne - fairly certain this was the blanc de noir - Now we're talking - terrific weight and power, crisp and complex, with baking bread and roasted nuts under a nice layer of toast. Extremely well made wine, and easily my wine of the night.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Re: WTN: Bubbles and Sushi

by Greg H » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Sounds like an interesting line up.

Any particularly striking combinations with specific sushi?
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:31 pm

John,

Not purposefully missing the intent of your post, but you had sushi and sparkling wines with someone named "Buddy Ann Twigg"? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:51 pm

The Lucien Albrecht Cremant is one of my go-to sparklers. At $20, it has a great QPR.

I'm curious to know how they went with the sushi.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:54 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:Sounds like an interesting line up.
Any particularly striking combinations with specific sushi?

We had a wide variety of things on the table, and there were some nice matches. The minerally cremant went great with fatty toro, as well as prime albacore.
And the rosé paired well with some of the spicier dishes, like the sunset roll, a fiery scallop dish.

Sam Platt wrote: Not purposefully missing the intent of your post, but you had sushi and sparkling wines with someone named "Buddy Ann Twigg"? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I should have said, my buddy, Ann Twigg. Better? :D

Mike B. wrote:The Lucien Albrecht Cremant is one of my go-to sparklers. At $20, it has a great QPR.

I'm curious to know how they went with the sushi.

As I said above, the crisp acidity played off the fatty toro really well - in addition, it was pretty darned good with some blue crab miso.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 am

I should have said, my buddy, Ann Twigg. Better?

Sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake now and again.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins