The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1998 Pride Cabernet Franc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Brenton

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:54 pm

East Lansing, MI

1998 Pride Cabernet Franc

by Mike Brenton » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:52 pm

Gosh darn this is good wine. Had two bottles left and haven't opened one in several years. Hosting a wine club board meeting tomorrow night so, of course, I need to advance taste test, which I am doing as I type.

Purchased upon release and cellared very cool. Nice garnet color. Not on the backside of the curve but aging well, better than a Bob Henrick weather forecast. Has an effusive bouquet, the nose of a maturing Bordeaux with cedar and cigar box, and not too much oak. Definite herbal notes on the palate, but in a good way. Wonderful fruit, but no fruit bomb. Very dry, but wonderful balance. For the baby boomers among us........An old fashioned love song, the flavor rambles on and on, comin' down in three part harmony. And only one bottle left.................
Gosh darn.
Mike Brenton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: 1998 Pride Cabernet Franc

by Redwinger » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Mike,
Nice note. Sounds like a wine to enjoy on a warm summer evening on the bluffs overlooking Lake Pepin.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Mike Brenton wrote:Gosh darn this is good wine. Had two bottles left and haven't opened one in several years. Hosting a wine club board meeting tomorrow night so, of course, I need to advance taste test, which I am doing as I type.

Purchased upon release and cellared very cool. Nice garnet color. Not on the backside of the curve but aging well, better than a Bob Henrick weather forecast. Has an effusive bouquet, the nose of a maturing Bordeaux with cedar and cigar box, and not too much oak. Definite herbal notes on the palate, but in a good way. Wonderful fruit, but no fruit bomb. Very dry, but wonderful balance. For the baby boomers among us........An old fashioned love song, the flavor rambles on and on, comin' down in three part harmony. And only one bottle left.................
Gosh darn.

Mike, something that I have forgotten to teach you is that a weather forecast is a thing of the moment. I don't remember ever charging for a forecast, and if it ever goes bad, I will issue a replacement of equal value. Al Capp (cartoonist who drew Lil Abner) wrote a poem once and called it an ode to a weatherman. Not to bore you with the whole thing, but the punch line went something like..."when I am right, no one remembers, and when I am wrong, no one forgets"! BTW, where are my recipes for jerky? I bet you took a vacation and that time could have been better spent typing those things up for me. Good to see you here Mike. And we miss "Old Willy" too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:17 am

Pride's CF is year-in and year-out one of my favorites from them.....really good, even very young, and you can't say that about a lot of their wines....you note the balance, and Pride seems to pull it off in this wine when it isn't always the case for the CS
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Mike Brenton

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:54 pm

East Lansing, MI

by Mike Brenton » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:37 pm

Geez, forgot about those jerky recipes, Bob. Will try to address that this week. Been using the Kamado for lots of fun concoctions, most on apple wood from a local winery/apple orchard/cider mill. Beef brisket, pulled pork, Hungarian Gulyas using pre-smoked chuck roast, wood fired pizza, Buffalo wings using smoked instead of fried wings, etc. Eager for it to warm up outside, though.

And Redwinger, those bluffs would be a mighty relaxing place to be about now. Instead, more snow blowing my driveway, and three neighbors, in the morning.

Mike
Mike Brenton