The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Sky Zinfandel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2002 Sky Zinfandel

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:25 am

Day two of cycling. Afterwards, I checked out the brand new evil corporate palace in Napa-Whole Foods Market. It is definitely an amazing place for a food and wine nut!

They were pouring a Zinfandel from way above the Napa Valley in Mount Veeder (2000 feet elevation). Made by a rather eccentric fellow, I read, the 2002 is the current release. Alcohol is a blazing, searing (just kidding) 13.5%.

This has to be one of the more elegant Zinfandels out there. Light ruby color. Raspberry/cranberry zin fruit. Some cedary notes as well. Not a hint of vanilla oak. Nor a hint of heat anywhere, and there is good acidity that suggests this would be nice with food. My only critique would be the finish is a little clipped and lacks that black pepper I enjoy in Zins. 15.5/20+
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach