The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Washington and Oregon blind tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Washington and Oregon blind tasting

by Saina » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:00 pm

Whites:

• N.V. Domaine Ste. Michelle Blanc de Noirs - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2008)
    Very light pink. The nose initially was like mineral water, but soon became ripely fruity with strawberry, floral and vegetal notes - it has much pinosity. Small and elegant mousse. Much sweet fruit, refreshing finish. Pretty nice!
  • 2004 Eyrie Vineyards Muskat Ottonel - USA, Oregon (2/19/2008)
    A very perfumed nose of Turkish Delights/rose water and grapes. Despite not being a high-acid wine, it stays together and has some grip to it. It is a very fruit-forward wine, and I miss some mineral tones. Decent, but rather obvious.
  • 2005 L'Ecole No. 41 Sémillon - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2008)
    The nose has a green and lifted aroma - the 14% Sauvignon Blanc was very obvious upon opening. With air the pungnecy calms down and some bright, citrussy and honeyed notes appear. The palate, surprisingly considering how little oak was on the nose, is extremely oaky: fat fruit, barrique and a Chardonnay-like weight. How strange to have such a different taste. Pretty nice if you can handle oak better than I can.
  • 2002 Chateau Ste. Michelle Sauvignon Blanc Horse Heaven Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2008)
    Blind: Light gold colour, so the nose was a surprise: oxidative, orange-like aromas, earthy - smells more like an old wine than of any particular grape or area. The fruit is still showing well despite the oxidative aromas and it has attractive acidity. I like old wine, so I enjoyed this - but I think most people will find this dead.
  • 2005 Argyle Chardonnay Nuthouse - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2/19/2008)
    Very perfumed, sweet, rose-watery nose - doesn't show much Chardonnay character, nor much savoury ntoes to counter all the sweetness. The palate is relatively light, oaky, but not a butter-bomb like so many American Chardonnays are, has adequate acidity and length. Not bad, but I really would require more savoury notes on the nose.
  • 2006 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling Cold Creek Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2008)
    Obviously Riesling with its lime/citrus aromas, but it also was rather perfumed and even a touch tropical despite having a rather delicate nose. The blackcurrant leaf aromas reminded me of Piesporter Goldtröpchen. Off-dry, fair acidity, moderate intensity and all in all a very attractive wine despite lacking in minerality.
  • 2004 Chateau Ste. Michelle & Dr. Loosen Riesling Eroica - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2008)
    Very Mosel in style: pungent, aromatic nose, with a strawberried sweetness. Off-dry, grippy, refreshing but fruity, fairly intense and long. Nice!

Reds:
  • 2003 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Meunier - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/19/2008)
    Light red. A very perfumed and rose-watery nose, with an attractive earthiness and vegetality underneath - but ultimately a bit too candied. Sweet but relatively light, high in acidity. A refreshing and personality imbued wine, yet not convincing for me because of its candied note.
  • 2004 Argyle Pinot Noir Spirithouse Reserve Series - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/19/2008)
    Chocolatey oak, some vegetative character underneath. Sweet, even a bit candied, not very refreshing, but very oaky and alcoholic. Others enjoyed this more, I found it rather dull.
  • 2003 Columbia Crest Merlot Grand Estates - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2008)
    Bell pepper, cranberry, rhubarb - very bright and red, but also a bit chemical. Sweet, darker toned than the nose implied, some savouryness. Oak is evident, but it isn't as strong as expected. A bit harsh, but decent.
  • 2003 Northstar Merlot Walla Walla Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (2/19/2008)
    Dark and chocolatey, some lifted aromas, but mostly all about dark fruit and oak notes. Tannic, masculine, yet jammy at the same time. Not bad if you don't mind oak.
  • 2003 Northstar Red Wine Stella Maris - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2008)
    Leafy and dark toned, the Merlot is more forward than the Cabernet at this moment with its dark and even meaty tones. Sadly there the oak aromas are too obvious. Big and juicy, decent tannins, too oaky.
  • 2004 Columbia Crest Syrah Reserve - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2008)
    This smells of tar, barrique and toffee. Dark, heavy, concentrated and chocolatey. Not to my taste.
  • 2003 Hedges Cellars Syrah Family Estate Bel Villa North Block Single Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (2/19/2008)
    Leafy, bloody, meaty, dark toned and rather oaky. Vibrant, yet concentrated and fruity with true Syrah character. Quite nice (broken record: if only there would be less oak...)
  • 2003 Zefina Zinfandel Alder Ridge Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2008)
    The nose is rather interesting with a vibrant red toned fruitiness and some green tea aromas, peachy - savoury despite its huge sweetness. Sadly the palate is hot, flabby and sweet.

Dessert blind:
  • 2005 Chateau Ste. Michelle Chenin Blanc Late Harvest - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Horse Heaven Hills (2/19/2008)
    It started out with some pea and grass aromas which I thought were typically Chenin-like. But I guessed it was Riesling because with air it became very limey. There is some botrytis, but it isn't as strong as I expected from 40% grapes being rotten. Very sweet, a bit too soft, but attractive anyway.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Washington and Oregon blind tasting

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:10 pm

Trade tasting Otto? Some pretty good notes there, wait till Jenise and Bill sees this!!
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: WTN: Washington and Oregon blind tasting

by Anders Källberg » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 pm

No real shining stars in that tasting it seems, Otto, except maybe for Eroica, which indeed is quite good. Too bad there were not more Pinots.
Cheers, Anders