The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Marsanne/Roussanne blends--why I continue to be hooked!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Marsanne/Roussanne blends--why I continue to be hooked!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:33 pm

I have, for a long time here, expressed my admiration for any white that features marsanne, roussanne or viognier. I usually turn to the Rhone Valley and Southern France, but will, from time to time, consider California as well as Australia. So lets see what I have ready to go here,and if anyone wants to add their impressions go ahead...a sort of Open Mike!!

WTN: `04 Bellfield Marsanne Roussanne Glenlofty Vineyard, Seppelt Victoria, Aust.

SC, 13.5% alc, $24 Cdn. Believe some parts saw some oak?

Color. Nice lively looking lightish lemon, verging on medium.

Nose. There is a heck of a lot going on here! Some funk blows off fast, grapefruit, spice, minerally, nectarine, peach, white flowers, honeysuckle after 24 hrs. So quite aromatic.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry is dry, minerally, stone fruit. Fair whack of grapefruit on the finish with some nutty tones, kernals? Some peach here but certainly not one-dimensional others have thought. Very good acidity and went well with pork loin cutlet and a basil herb butter. Nice wine indeed, very distinct.Think this has held up well but at its peak now.
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:56 am

Catskill Mountains

Re: Marsanne/Roussanne blends--why I continue to be hooked!!

by Tony Fletcher » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Bob

I really enjoy these blends too, and they seem to come off well in some territories outside the Rhone/Southern France. I'll look out for this one. Thanks for the notes.

tony
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:38 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I have, for a long time here, expressed my admiration for any white that features marsanne, roussanne or viognier. I usually turn to the Rhone Valley and Southern France, but will, from time to time, consider California as well as Australia. So lets see what I have ready to go here,and if anyone wants to add their impressions go ahead...a sort of Open Mike!!

WTN: `04 Bellfield Marsanne Roussanne Glenlofty Vineyard, Seppelt Victoria, Aust.

SC, 13.5% alc, $24 Cdn. Believe some parts saw some oak?

Color. Nice lively looking lightish lemon, verging on medium.

Nose. There is a heck of a lot going on here! Some funk blows off fast, grapefruit, spice, minerally, nectarine, peach, white flowers, honeysuckle after 24 hrs. So quite aromatic.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry is dry, minerally, stone fruit. Fair whack of grapefruit on the finish with some nutty tones, kernals? Some peach here but certainly not one-dimensional others have thought. Very good acidity and went well with pork loin cutlet and a basil herb butter. Nice wine indeed, very distinct.Think this has held up well but at its peak now.

Bob,
Ok, so I don't like marsanne! If that gets your attention, let me add I don't like marsanne when viognier has been added. But then I am not a fan of viognier. I am not a real big fan of a marsanne/rousanne blend either. I am not a big fan of young marsanne. Now are you confused? I think that either rousanne or marsanne can stand alone, but they need 3-5 years to start to show their stuff. I have more experience with marsanne due to the Tahbilk, But I must say that the 95 Tahbilk marsanne is singing right now. I only have 6 bottles of it left and wish I had 18. Marsanne and Rousanne needs time to come around, young they don't taste like much.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Bob H

I don't buy anything by the case but I do have a bottle of Tahbilk 98 in the cellar. OPtimum window? Sounds like you would have an opinion.

Tony
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:15 pm

Tony Fletcher wrote:Bob H

I don't buy anything by the case but I do have a bottle of Tahbilk 98 in the cellar. OPtimum window? Sounds like you would have an opinion.

Tony

Tony, it has been sometime since I have had a 98, but it should be entering it's stride and be drinking well for the next 4-5 years given good storage. The honied notes will be starting to show along with some orange blossom, and still plenty of lemony acidity.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:10 am

This time I have a viognier roussanne blend from Mr Viognier, Mat Garretson who sometimes posts excellent notes here.

WTN: `04 G White, Garretson Central Coast Calif.

The color is a deep straw verging on a light lemon. Some funk quickly blew off, revealing peach, apricot, spice and some very nice floral fragrance. The white fruits tend to dominate which is OK by me!
On the palate, the initial entry is again the white fruits and a brief hint of nuts. Nice weight here and held up well after the 2 yrs in the cellar. Long rich aftertaste that really lingers. Not over the top by any means and does not have the mineral elements of the Seppelt I posted on yesterday.
Some honeysuckle and more kernals after 2 hours.
Cost was around $22 Cdn I think, food an excellent teriyaki chicken breast.
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks Bob

Bob Henrick wrote:
Tony Fletcher wrote:Bob H

Tony

Tony, it has been sometime since I have had a 98, but it should be entering it's stride and be drinking well for the next 4-5 years given good storage. The honied notes will be starting to show along with some orange blossom, and still plenty of lemony acidity.
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:14 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Bob,
Ok, so I don't like marsanne!

In view of your subsequent comments about Tahbilk, I assume you meant Roussanne. Interestingly, Tahblik actually do separate bottlings of both Marsanne and Roussane (no blend of the two, however). The Roussanne is obviously a much smaller harvest, as they only sell the wine to their mailing list - at the same outrageous A$11 they charge for the marsanne. They reckon it doesn't age as long or well as the Marsanne, but it has a lovely apple / pear side to its flavours when young, and still sufficient acid to keep it fresh. Never had an old one, sadly. (although I don't think they've been bottling it for long anyway...)
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:46 am

Graeme Gee wrote:.In view of your subsequent comments about Tahbilk, I assume you meant Roussanne. Interestingly, Tahblik actually do separate bottlings of both Marsanne and Roussane (no blend of the two, however). The Roussanne is obviously a much smaller harvest, as they only sell the wine to their mailing list - at the same outrageous A$11 they charge for the marsanne. They reckon it doesn't age as long or well as the Marsanne, but it has a lovely apple / pear side to its flavours when young, and still sufficient acid to keep it fresh. Never had an old one, sadly. (although I don't think they've been bottling it for long anyway...)
cheers,
Graeme

Graeme,
I was speaking tongue in cheek when I said that "I don't like marsanne. I believe I was replying to Bob Parson, who well knows my feelings about the Tahbilk marsanne. As to the Tahbilk rousanne, our genial host here brought back a bottle of it from the cellar door, packed in his suitcase. I have been saving it for a special occasion, but in view of what you say, I better drink soon. It's a 2002 vintage.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:41 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:This time I have a viognier roussanne blend from Mr Viognier, Mat Garretson who sometimes posts excellent notes here.

WTN: `04 G White, Garretson Central Coast Calif.

The color is a deep straw verging on a light lemon. Some funk quickly blew off, revealing peach, apricot, spice and some very nice floral fragrance. The white fruits tend to dominate which is OK by me!
On the palate, the initial entry is again the white fruits and a brief hint of nuts. Nice weight here and held up well after the 2 yrs in the cellar. Long rich aftertaste that really lingers. Not over the top by any means and does not have the mineral elements of the Seppelt I posted on yesterday.
Some honeysuckle and more kernals after 2 hours.
Cost was around $22 Cdn I think, food an excellent teriyaki chicken breast.

Well, it`s laid back Friday and I have one glass here of the G White. It has really softened up over 2 days and has lost some of that kernal bitterness I found. There is a hint of banana which is a real surprise, very nice.