The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Corks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Corks

by Maria Samms » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:34 pm

Hello All,

I have a question regarding corks. I noticed that in some bottles of wine, the corks come out easily, while in others, it takes TONS of brut force to get it out (I use an ordinary wine key). Why is this? I know that most new world younger wine corks are coated with silcone. Is this a fairly recent pratice? Do some countries not use silcone coated corks?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Corks

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Maria,

If you can find anything about corks that is standard practice then call the papers. Indeed not all corks are coated. Also wine residue (from bottling or mistreatment) can sometimes "glue" a cork to the bottle, making it nearly impossible to extract. There's a million other issues (exact cork diameter, exact bottle opening diameter...).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:31 pm

What David said.

On a related note, if you are interested in reading a fascinating work on cork and non-cork closures with some history thrown in, I highly recommend
To Cork or Not To Cork, by George M. Taber. Extremely interesting, and as a special bonus, our own Dr. Stuart Yaniger is included!

(Disclosure: WLDG will get a minuscule contribution if anyone orders the book from that link.)
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi Maria,
Because natural cork comes from a living thing and has a cell-like structure (one cork could consist of 800 million cells), the cells on the outside surface act like little suction-cups. How a bottle of wine is treated and stored, and depending upon the quality and function of the natural cork will determine what kind of “grip” or “hold” the cork has on the inside of the glass bottle.

Salute
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Yes, diameter variartion is a major factor. After drinking two bottles of 1995 Branaire at a San Diego restaurant, on back-to-back evenings, I couldn't wait to get back home to see if I could find some. Found a case, only one case. All the corks were of a "plug" fit rather than a "press" fit, and came out with no effort. All the bottles were oxidized. Still lamenting. Loved that wine.
no avatar
User

Justin S

Rank

Just got here

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:32 pm

DC-Maryland

by Justin S » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:39 pm

I would have to imagine that some bottle neck variation is not unheard of either.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:55 am

Natural cork has an outstanding characteristic of compression and recovery. Today, I think both the cork and glass manufactures can hold dimensions to a reasonable tolerance. Besides a little out of “roundness” or “bent” condition of the opening or neck of the bottle could be “taken up” by the cork (the cork could take the shape of the inside of the neck of the bottle).

Salute
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:24 am

I'd imagine corks that were "plug fit" on removal got that way by losing their elasticity rather than due to the size they were cut to before insertion.

Cork BTW has the unusual, if not unique, property of having a negative Poisson's ratio. IOW if you squeeze cork in one dimension the other dimensions reduce too. That makes corks easier to insert (and extract) than they otherwise would be. And after insertion, when the force pushing them is is removed, the diameter increases to make a good seal.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Others with more scientific bent have offered good "why" answers.

Just out of curiosity, by "normal wine key" do you mean a waiter's type corkscrew? If you find some corks difficult, I'd suggest trying the Pulltap type. A good quality waiters corkscrew with a teflon worm and a hinged lever. The later lets you keep pressure straight up, by pulling in 2 stages. I've got expensive Laguioles, etc that don't work near as well. I prefer to Screwpulls.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:02 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Others with more scientific bent have offered good "why" answers.

Just out of curiosity, by "normal wine key" do you mean a waiter's type corkscrew? If you find some corks difficult, I'd suggest trying the Pulltap type. A good quality waiters corkscrew with a teflon worm and a hinged lever. The later lets you keep pressure straight up, by pulling in 2 stages. I've got expensive Laguioles, etc that don't work near as well. I prefer to Screwpulls.

I'll second that. I got a Pulltap for Christmas and I love it. If I were pulling corks on a dozen or more bottles, I'd use our Screwpull, but for a few bottles I'll take the Pulltap.

Mark Lipton