The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 4 under-$20

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 4 under-$20

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:31 am

Tuesday Betsy's niece and nephew spent the night, after some croquet Betsy served salmon filet baked with tomatoes, accompanied by pasta with pesto. Betsy and I had the 2004 Goisot Bourgogne Aligote. Sharp acidity, lemon fruit. Not the depth of a Lafarge or de Villaine Aligote, but clean and the acidity makes it food-friendly. B/B-

So friends came over Wednesday, we had a nice meal of spice/herb chicken, a quinoa pilaf, and salad. We finished off the Goisot, and had:

2004 Panarroz (Jumilla)
Jim really liked this. Super fruit-forward. A very ripe red fruit body, with a light herbal note. Very soft mouthfeel. Probably a very good value (someone had brought to a party on weekend, but I think I've seen at $7-8), but not a style I really go for. But probably a huge hit at a non-geek party. B-

2004 Schloss Gobelsburg "Gobelsburger" Gruner VeltlinerLight-bodied, with pear and melon fruit, distinct white pepper aromas. Flinty minerals on the finish. Good acidity, very food-friendly. I sample the other wines, but this is the one I come back to. B+ (this is the 3rd or 4th one I've tried, and best yet).

Thursday was grilled pork chops in a lemon/garlic/tarragon marinade, with a grilled squash dish and an Asian-influenced salad. I opened the 2002 Manciat Macon-Charnay Vieilles Vignes. This time I wasn't surprised by this wine (first time I was expecting typical Macon and found a wine more of the Cote d'Or). A pleasant touch-just a touch- of butterscotchy oak, with ripe apple/pear fruit and ample acidity. Long finish with hints of hazelnut and earth. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: 4 under-$20

by Hoke » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:45 am

A rousing second for the Manciat Macon-Charnay, dude!

First had that one a few months ago in a restaurant in SF. It was a godsend after a seriously corked Soave and a listless Oregon Pinot Noir. Good enough that I sought out some at retail and have enjoyed some bottles since. And this from a guy who doesn't go out of his way to buy Chardonnay. :)